Teacher Leader Master’s Degree – Reading/Writing Endorsement (Non-National Board Certification Option)
- An acceptable admission index by meeting any of the following
- GRE score (verbal + quantitative) * undergraduate GPA = 2050 (minimum)
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) Scaled Score * undergraduate GPA = 980 (minimum)
- The test requirement is waived for candidates who have successfully completed a master’s degree
- A teaching certificate or statement of eligibility
- An approved professional growth plan signed by school supervisor. (If the candidate is not currently teaching, the candidate’s advisor may approve the professional growth plan)
* Students not meeting these requirements may apply under the alternative admission plan:
- While enrolled in EDTL 601 the candidate will develop a comprehensive career plan that integrates school district professional development opportunities and their graduate program plan.
- After completion of 12 hours, candidates must have attained at least a 3.0 cumulative program GPA. Candidates falling below a 3.0 cumulative program GPA may take no more than an additional 6 hours. If after completing an additional 6 hours the cumulative program GPA is below 3.0, the candidate will be dropped from the program.
These three courses must be taken during first 12 hours of graduate study:
- EDTL 601 Leadership and Decision Making
- EDTL 602 Education in Context
- EDTL 601 and EDTL 602 will be offered during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- EDTL 603 Research and Teacher Leadership
- The capstone project is planned as a part of EDTL 603. This course will be offered fall, spring and on-demand during the summer.
Additional core courses:
- EDTL 604 Collaboration for Teachers
- This course will be offered fall, spring, and on-demand summer.
Area of Specialization
Reading/Writing Endorsement – 21 hours
- EDEL 626 Investigations in Reading
- ENG 608 Writing Project
- ENG 609 Writing Project
- EDEL 625 Foundations in Language Development
- EDEL 677 Reading in Content Area
- EDEL 662 Assessment of Reading
- EDEL 625 Practicum
NOTE: The Teacher Leader Masters degree will NOT change the area a candidate is certified to teach.
- Candidates must successfully complete a capstone project in a venue approved by their advisor. The capstone project may include a presentation before a panel of educators, a presentation as a part of an educational conference, or professional development the candidate has written and planned. The capstone project may also include a publication in a peer reviewed professional journal.
- Candidates must file for completion at the beginning of their last semester. Forms may be picked up in the Graduate Office.
- Candidates must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.