Teacher Leader Master’s Degree – Biology (approval pending)
- An acceptable admission index by meeting any of the following
A teaching certificate or statement of eligibility
An approved professional growth plan signed by school supervisor. (If the candidate is not currently teaching, the candidate’s advisor may approve the professional growth plan)
- GRE score (verbal + quantitative) * undergraduate GPA = 2050 (minimum)
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) Scaled Score * undergraduate GPA = 980 (minimum)
- The test requirement is waived for candidates who have successfully completed a master’s degree
* Students not meeting these requirements may apply under the alternative admission plan:
- While enrolled in EDTL 601 the candidate will develop a comprehensive career plan that integrates school district professional development opportunities and their graduate program plan.
- After completion of 12 hours, candidates must have attained at least a 3.0 cumulative program GPA. Candidates falling below a 3.0 cumulative program GPA may take no more than an additional 6 hours. If after completing an additional 6 hours the cumulative program GPA is below 3.0, the candidate will be dropped from the program.
These three courses must be taken during first 12 hours of graduate study:
- EDTL 601 Leadership and Decision Making
- EDTL 602 Education in Context
- EDTL 601 and EDTL 602 will be offered during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- EDTL 603 Research and Teacher Leadership
- The capstone project is planned as a part of EDTL 603. This course will be offered fall, spring and on-demand during the summer.
Additional core courses:
- EDTL 604 Collaboration for Teachers
- EDTL 605 Developmental Analysis of Learning
- These courses may be taken in either order (i.e. EDTL 604 then EDTL 605 or vice versa). Courses will be offered fall, spring, and on-demand summer.
- EDTL 606 Curriculum and Instructional Design
- This course will be offered fall, spring, and on-demand summer.
Area of Specialization
Biology – 12 hours
- (Required) BIOL 683 Selected Workshop Topics
- Note: The summer offering of this course is designed for pre- and in-service teachers.
- 9 hours from the following:
- BIOL 601 Biological Concepts
- BIOL 603 History/Philosophy of Biology
- BIOL 606 Biology of Vertebrates
- BIOL 609 Limnology
- BIOL 610 Advanced Evolution
- BIOL 615 Systematic Entomology
- BIOL 624 Immunology BIOL 625 Advanced Genetics
- BIOL 627 Pathogenic Microbiology
- BIOL 628 Virology
- BIOL 629 Histology
- BIOL 631 Herpetology
- BIOL 633 Ichthyology
- BIOL 635 Advanced Ecology
- BIOL 636 Wetland Ecology
- BIOL 638 Mammalogy
- BIOL 643 General Parasitology
- BIOL 645 Molecular Biology
- BIOL 651 Advanced Cell Biology
- BIOL 654 Environmental Education
- BIOL 690 Biochemistry
NOTE: The Teacher Leader Masters degree will NOT change the area a candidate is certified to teach.
- Candidates must successfully complete a capstone project in a venue approved by their advisor. The capstone project may include a presentation before a panel of educators, a presentation as a part of an educational conference, or professional development the candidate has written and planned. The capstone project may also include a publication in a peer reviewed professional journal.
- Candidates must file for completion at the beginning of their last semester. Forms may be picked up in the Graduate Office.
- Candidates must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.