Master of Business Administration
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) program provides quality educational opportunities in business for degree and course completion. MSU's MBA program is offered completely online, focuses on working professionals and is designed for individuals seeking to improve their management success. Those with undergraduate degrees in business may complete the program with a minimum of 30 semester hours. Those without the undergraduate business core courses may be admitted to the program by completing the appropriate number of prerequisite courses as determined by the MBA program director. The degree requirements for our MBA specify that all students must complete 24 core (required) hours and 6 hours of free electives.
If your interested in a career in health care, the Health Systems Management track will prepare you for leadership positions in various healthcare settings. According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, employment opportunities are growing "faster than average" in the healthcare industry.
The MBA with Health Systems Management Track can be completed with a minimum 36 semester credit hours. The MBA core remains the same, but HSM students will focus their 12 elective hours in the HSM area.
For those who already have professional health care experience, MSU offers the Health Systems Management Certificate. The goal of the Health Systems Management Certificate program is to prepare students for leadership in the healthcare industry and to address the national priority for university-based curriculum to meet the increased demand for healthcare professionals with competencies in health information technology and health systems transformation.
Health Systems Management Track Curriculum
- Admission into the MBA program for applicant's with an earned master's degree and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 from a regionally accredited institution are admitted into the MBA without having to submit an official GMAT score. An official graduate transcript showing completion of the master's degree is required.
- Admission for applicants with an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university must meet the following criteria:
a. A minimum 2.5 undergraduate GPA is required.
b. Admission is determined by an admission index. The index is computed as follows: INDEX = (undergraduate GPA x 200) + GMAT score. The index must equal at least 1000 and the minimum acceptable GMAT score is 400. The GRE is accepted in lieu of the GMAT provided the GRE score is equivalent to the score required for GMAT using the index formula above. Students not meeting the minimum 2.5 undergraduate GPA requirement may be admitted to the MBA program if their GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study was at least 2.75 with a minimum index of 1050. (The admission status would be attempt to qualify.)
c. Applicants must submit an official GMAT or GRE score before their application for admission into the MBA program will be reviewed.
GMAT Exemption -
Applicants who meet the following criteria may be exempt from the GMAT:
i. Any applicant who has an earned baccalaureate degree in business from an AACSB accredited college or university and a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale is exempt from taking the GMAT or GRE and therefore exempt from criterion B and C.
ii. Any current Morehead State University student pursuing the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree with a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA who seeks admission into the Early Graduate Program is exempt from taking the GMAT and therefore exempt from criterion B and C.
GMAT Waiver Request -
Applicants who meet all the following criteria may request a GMAT/GRE waive:
a. An earned baccalaureate degree in any discipline from a regionally accredited college or university
b. Minimum two years professional work experience
c. 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
d. Additionally, the GMAT waiver request must include a resume, three professional letters of recommendation, and a goals statement. Submitting a waiver request and required documentation does not guarantee a waiver will be granted.
3. Applicants who meet requirements 1 or 2, but who have not met the foundation course requirements, may be conditionally admitted to the MBA program. Students who are conditionally admitted may only take foundation course requirements. The Foundation Course Sequence, or comparable coursework, must be completed prior to full admission with at least a 3.0 GPA and no grade of less than a "C" in any course. Students may use the College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP) examinations to satisfy the foundation course requirements, if applicable.
4. International students must take the TOEFL. A score of 525 (old system) or 70 (new system) is required for program admission; those who score below 525 will not be admitted to the program. Students scoring between 525 and 550 are required to complete
Health Systems Management Certificate Requirements
- Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with an overall minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or at least 3.0 on all graduate work that may apply to the certificate.
- In addition, admission to the certificate program will require meeting at least one of the following criteria:
a. Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience in a healthcare or business position following completion of the bachelor's degree.
b. Completion of a prior graduate degree program.
c. Requirements for the Certificate
Graduates of this program are qualified to assume leadership and management positions in a variety of fields.
MSU's Career Services
offers career planning, interview and resume preparation assistance, internship placement, and services to help you find a job after you graduate.