Staff Congress
MSU Collage Image

MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY

STAFF CONGRESS MINUTES

DECEMBER 1, 2003

MEMBERS:

*Darlene Allen Gaylena Cline David Jessie *Jeffrey Liles Lora Pace *Stephanie Stewart
Ed Beam Rhonda Crisp Linda Kegley *Rhonda Mackin Belva Sammons Willis Taylor
*T. Bumgardner *R. Holbrook *Lake Kelly *Terry Mays *Dallas Sammons Cindy Thompson
Lisa Caskey Mike Hopper Donna King *Amy Moore *Rhonda Sloan Jonell Tobin
Joy Cecil Kristie Jenkins M. LaFontaine Pam Moore Doug Snedegar *Rick Williams

*Denotes member was absent

Guests: Roger Barker-Director of Human Resources

Chair Pace called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m.  A quorum was present.  Roger Barker was welcomed.

Motion: To approve the November 10, 2003 minutes as submitted
  Proposed:  Rep. Kegley Seconded:  Rep. P. Moore
Called for Vote: Passed

 

Chair's Report Chair Pace announced that all Staff Congress meetings January through June will be in the Riggle Room.  

In reference to the Athletic Committee, at the last meeting it was mentioned that Rep. LaFontaine found out she was no longer on the committee.  Chair Pace emailed Chip Smith, the Athletic Director, and he said that the committee was supposed to be downsized as member terms expired.  Rep. LaFontaine should be back on the committee.  Mr. Smith is going to contact Chair Pace with confirmation of this, but she hasn't heard anything yet; therefore, she will contact him.  Also on the same matter, Chair Pace emailed Tom Creahan, Faculty Senate Chair, expressing our unhappiness with the fact that Faculty Senate dictates what happens to staff representatives on Standing Committees.  It is in their constitution that they do have the governance over all appointments to the standing committees, but Chair Creahan seems to be open to a change.  Something will be brought before Staff Congress probably next month and we'll vote and see if we want to pursue this matter.  If so, Staff Congress will put something formal together in the next month or two and send it to Faculty Senate.  

Vice-Chair's Report No report. 
Secretary's Report No report. 

 

Committee Reports

Credentials and Elections No report. 
University Standing Appointments No report.
Fiscal Affairs No report.
Personnel Policies and Benefits Rep. Hopper attended a University Employee Benefits Committee meeting where supplemental health insurance was discussed.  There are already some companies that offer supplemental insurance to employees.  AFLAC is welcome to offer it also.  At least 20 employees must participate in any one plan before payroll deduction can be offered.  Employees should contact participating insurance companies if they are interested in supplemental insurance.  Roger Barker said Human Resources will try to get information out to employees about supplemental health insurance.

Rep. Hopper announced that there has been a question about PG-24 'Time Off for Death in Family or Funeral'.  The list of immediate family does not include son-in-law or daughter-in-law at this time.  After talking with Roger Barker in Human Resources, he feels it was just an oversight.  Staff Congress should explore making a recommendation to add son-in-law and daughter-in-law to the list of immediate family.  The Personnel Policies and Benefits Committee will meet about this issue and make a recommendation in January.


Old Business
 - none

New Business - none

Discussion

Rep. Hopper said there was a concern expressed by Tom Creahan, Chair of Faculty Senate, that the University Benefits Committee by structure is chaired by the Director of Human Resources.  Faculty Senate would like for the Chair of the University Benefits Committee to be selected by the members of the committee and the Director of Human Resources become an ex-officio member.  Rep. Hopper spoke with Roger Barker and he was very supportive of the idea.  Tom Creahan asked if Staff Congress would support the change with some type of resolution or draft.  The Personnel Policies and Benefits Committee will meet on this matter and bring a recommendation to Staff Congress in January.  Roger Barker suggested that the committee look at the length of terms when discussing this issue.  The terms need to be as long as possible; he would suggest four years.  The issues are hard to understand and the committee is much more successful with members who have been there for a long time.

Rep. Tobin said that some staff had asked her about the return-to-work date of January 2 after the holiday break.  Is there a possibility of that date being delayed to January 5?  Roger Barker said he has not heard of that happening.  Rep. B. Sammons mentioned that employees can take that day as vacation if they want.

Regent's Report  - No report.

Announcements

Our next meeting will be January 5 in the Riggle Room.

Motion: To adjourn
  Proposed:  Rep. P. Moore Seconded:  Rep. Caskey
Called for Vote: Passed

Minutes submitted by:  Rhonda Crisp, Secretary