|The Provisional Studies Program is a freshman year program which specifically addresses the needs of those students who do not meet regular admission requirements of the University. Students must have a minimum academic index of 450 and minimum ACT composite score of 18 for regular admission. [Academic Index = (high school GPA X 100) + (ACT Score X 10)]. Any student with an ACT composite score below 18 is also admitted provisionally, and will be placed in the Provisional Studies Program.
Provisionally admitted students are assigned to academic advisors in the Office of Academic Services and Retention. These advisors will monitor and direct their academic activities. Provisionally admitted students work with their advisor(s) to design a plan of remediation in developmental courses designed to increase competency in identified areas of need.
Credits earned from developmental courses do not count toward program or general education requirements, and they do not count toward the minimum hours required for graduation. However, developmental courses do carry credit which is counted in the semester workload, and the grades earned for developmental courses are computed in the student's GPA.
To successfully exit the Provisional Studies Program and enroll in a degree program at the University, a student must:
- Complete any and all required developmental courses with a grade of “C” or higher within the first 30 credit hours.
- Complete FYS 101 with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Complete a required minimum 24 credit hours and maintain a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Complete at least 12 hours of General Education requirements.
- Complete a Career Assessment with the Office of Career Services if deemed necessary by my advisor or if ever undecided about my major.
To accomplish these goals, the Provisional Student should:
- Work with my advisor to develop an Academic Plan that includes specific measures to acquire and demonstrate proficiency in identified areas of need and, fulfill the requirements of the plan.
- Meet with my assigned academic advisor once before mid-term and once after mid-term of every semester I am in the Provisional Studies Program (PSP) or as deemed necessary by my advisor.
- Participate in study tables and log a minimum of 5 hours per week of documented study hours or tutoring hours in the Tutoring Learning Centers in Allie-Young Hall or Camden-Carroll Library.
- Attend all classes. Absences (or persistent tardiness) are not tolerated except in cases of documented illness or emergency. I further agree to work to the best of my ability to complete all required assessments in the PSP to provide the most accurate demonstration of my academic progress through the program.
- I understand that all class schedule changes must be approved by my academic advisor and I understand that my advisor will use the advisor hold on my records to ensure no changes are made without advisor approval.
|Provisional students may not declare a major until all requirements have been met. Failure to satisfy the requirements of the Provisional Studies Program by the end of the freshman year will result in academic dismissal.
For more information visit, write, or call Academic Services at:
Morehead State University
Provisional Studies Program
Allie Young Hall 222
Morehead, KY 40351
Telephone: (606) 783-2084 or (606) 783-2310
Fax: (606) 783-5018
E-mail: Mr. Craig Dennis