MSU Collage Image

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to get my direct deposit started?

You must submit a completed direct deposit form along with a voided check to the Payroll Office.  The next available payroll release will be considered a "prenote".  The prenote is a bank requirement and basically represents a trial run to insure accuracy before actual money is transferred.  When a prenote occurs, you will get a paper check as usual, however, there will also be a $0.00 transaction sent to your bank account.  This allows you time to verify the prenote.  It also allows the bank time to notify the Payroll Office if the transaction was incomplete.  It usually takes 3 – 4 days for our bank to notify us of an error.  In the event that you switch your account, we will give you the option of waiving the prenote on your new account only when it remains in the same bank.

How do I stop my direct deposit and when will it be effective?

Employees may request direct deposit cancellation by providing written notice to the payroll office.  The effective date will be the next available payroll.  NOTE:  Please keep in mind that direct deposits must be sent two days in advance of the pay date to avoid delays. 

How do I change my credit union deduction?

The employee must authorize change notifications via the credit union.  The credit union will provide us the change information and we will process the change on the next available payroll.

I didn't receive my W-2 form.  What should I do?

The IRS gives a deadline of January 31st to postmark the W-2's. You should contact the Payroll Office after the first week of February if you haven't received your W-2.  It is very important that you notify the appropriate office to report an address change before December. Employee addresses are maintained by Human Resources, and student addresses are maintained by the Registrar's Office. Starting in 2011, W-2's were made available online, via web-advisor. You must consent to be able to view them online, but you will not have to consent each year. If you consent to view online, you will not receive a printed W-2 in the mail.

Where will I receive my check?

The department or unit head designates individuals permitted to pick up checks.  Checks are picked up from Accounting & Financial Services on the pay release date.  They are taken to a centralized departmental location for distribution.  If you are at an off-campus location, the department will mail your check to your work location.  It may be possible for the department to mail your check to your home.  The department will determine if this is an option.

You may view your pay stub online via web advisor.

Can I elect additional deductions?

Human Resources can provide you with information on additional types of services eligible for participation.  Payroll will only deduct for approved services or legally mandated deductions.

My address is incorrect.  Who do I need to contact to correct?

Regular employees should contact Human Resources at (606) 783-2097.  Student work-studies should contact the Registrar at (606) 783-2008.

I lost my paycheck, what can I do?

A lost paycheck will require a stop payment before a new check can be generated. Jeremy Withrow with Accounting & Financial Services will initiate a stop payment based on information provided by the department (i.e. name, date, and amount of the check).  When the stop payment is applied, the information will be forwarded to the payroll office requesting a replacement check.  A $20 fee will be assessed when the check is picked up.

If I claim "exempt" from tax withholding, does that withholding status last until I make another change?

A W-4 claiming "exempt" from tax withholding will expire if a new form is not completed before February 15 of the following year.  In the absence of a new form, the IRS stipulates that payroll be taxed as if the employee is single with zero exemptions.

What does OASD and HI represent on my stub?

Employer OASD (Old Age, Survivor's, Disability) 6.2% + HI (Health Insurance) 1.45%] = 7.65%

Employee OASD (Old Age, Survivor's, Disability)  6.2% + HI (Health Insurance) 1.45%] = 7.65%

OASD is commonly referred to as social security.  The Social Security Administration (SSA) sets a wage base each year.  The 2011 social security wage base limit is $106,800. (This could change yearly.)

HI is commonly referred to as Medicare.  Medicare does not have a limit; therefore, all medicare wages will be taxed at 1.45%.

Please note that the percentages and limits listed are currently applicable and subject to change based on SSA regulations.    

Payroll Service Response & Action Plan (Spring 2009)