MSU Collage Image

W-4 Information

  • Employees must complete Form W-4 so the Payroll Office can withhold income tax from their paycheck.  W-4's are available from the Payroll Office or from our website.  There are two W-4's -- one for federal income tax withholding and one for state income tax withholding.  These forms require name, address, social security number, marital status, number of allowances claimed and a dated signature.  This information will remain in effect until new W-4 are submitted.  Forms should be returned to the Payroll Office, HM 106.
  • An individual wanting to claim "Exempt" from Federal and/or State income tax must indicate this on the W-4.  Leave the allowance area blank and enter "EXEMPT" in the appropriate box on the form.  This status is only valid for the calendar year in which it is submitted.  A new W-4 claiming "exempt" must be filled out by February 15th of the following year.
  • Nonresident Aliens (NRA) must complete the appropriate paperwork.  If there is a tax treaty with the NRA's home country of residency, he /she may complete Form 8233 (available in the Payroll Office) for tax exemption.  Form 8233 must be completed each calendar year. We will also need your Visa, social security card and the I-20 letter.