Sigma Alpha Iota in the eastern area began with a group of women at Morehead State College in September of 1959. The group was chartered on October 22, 1960 as the Gamma Upsilon chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota. Morehead State College became a university in 1966. At the time of the group's charter, Dr. Adron Doran was the president of the university. Dr. J.E. Duncan was dean of the School of Humanities, and Dr. E. Glenn Fulbright was the head of the Department of Music.
The first year the chapter consisted of fifteen college members with Esther Benack as president. There were five patroness members: Mrs. John Allen, Mrs. Adron Doran, Mrs. Keith Huffman, Mrs. Fred Marzan, and Mrs. John Palmer. The first pledge class of eight members was initiated on October 30, 1961. This began Gamma Upsilon's growth to its present membership.
The alumnae members of Sigma Alpha Iota expressed their desire for a chapter in this area through a group in May of 1964. They were chartered at Lexington, Kentucky in May of 1965 as the Central - Eastern Kentucky Alumnae, with Mrs. Violet Severy as president. Through the influence of the alumnae, Delta Omega, a college chapter at the University of Kentucky, was chartered in 1967.
Due to the growth of the Central - Eastern Kentucky Aumnae Chapter, the Morehead Alumnae Chapter was installed in November of 1969 at a province day on the campus of the University of Kentucky.