Since the aim of the educative process is stimulation of the student toward the highest level of achievment within his of her capabilities, outstanding accomplishment should be accorded particular recognition. In an attempt to provide such recognition, the Alumni Association of the School of Music at Northwestern University, in 1916 appointed a committee to consider the feasibility of installing an honor society in the field of music. Pi Kappa Lambda was granted a charter by the State of Illinois in 1918. The first member was Peter Christian Lutkin, Dean of the School of Music at Northwestern University. His initials in their Greek equivalents were selected for the name of the society Pi Kappa Lambda. To Dean Lutkin was issued key number one of the society. This key is now part of the archives of Alpha Chapter, Northwestern University. The course of the organization has been one of continuing expansion. Election to membership in Pi Kappa Lambda has been indicative of superior attainment in Music, together with the personal qualifications pertaining to an outstanding exponent of the art. Since 1941, the Society of Pi Kappa Lambda has held full membership in the Association of College Honor Societies. The Delta Gamma Chapter of Pi Kappa Lambda was chartered at Morehead State University in 1976.