International Education
MSU Collage Image

International Graduate Admissions                          

(Graduate Admissions )

All International students must have their transcripts evaluated by Worldwide Education Services (WES). International students who qualify for admission are required to take the English Language Institute Test of the University of Michigan, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) given by the Educational Testing Service. If the Michigan Test is taken, a minimum score of 82 is required. Students taking the IELTS must score a minimum of 5.5. A TOEFL score of 500 on the old testing system or 61 on the new system is required for admission to all graduate programs except the Master of Business Administration program, the Master of Science in Information Systems, and Biology, which require a score of 525 (old system) or 70 (new system) for admission. International students who have completed a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the US are exempt from this requirement. 

International students will be officially admitted and issued a Form I-20A only after the Graduate Office has been notified that they have passed the English Test successfully, have met program admission requirements, and have submitted a statement certifying their ability to meet all financial obligations. The TOEFL examination is given regularly in most foreign countries. For further information regarding these tests, the applicant should contact the US Counsel in the country of residence. 

International Students, please submit the following materials:  

  • Application for Admission to Graduate Study 
  • WES Evaluation (
  • Official original copy of graduation diploma 
  • Official original report of your TOEFL score 
  • Official original report of your GRE/GMAT score 
  • Verification of finances in the amount of $27,998.00 U.S. dollars (financial statement on official stationary with address and telephone number)
  • Original letter from your sponsor and verification of sponsors financial ability. (If you will have a sponsor)
  • If an I-20 is required,  submit a $30.00 non-refundable application fee payable to Morehead State University

* Mailing address: Ginger Hall 701, Graduate Office, Morehead State University, Morehead, KY 40351, U. S. A.

Contact Information: Call 606-783-2039 or email Ollie Floyd at

Note: If you are admitted to graduate study you will be required to register as a full-time student and you must maintain a 3.0 grade point average.

International Graduate Scholarships (NEW!!!)

MSU offers international student scholarships to qualified international students. To be eligible, students must be unconditionally admitted as an international graduate student. Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress for renewal. This scholarship cannot be awarded in addition to the non-resident tuition scholarship or a graduate assistantship.

Recipients pay only 1.5 times the instate tuition rate instead of the out-of-state rate. This scholarship cannot be combined with the Graduate Assistantship award.

Graduate Assistantships

A number of assistantships are offered each year for graduate students who have been unconditionally admitted to a graduate degree program. These assistantships provide a stipend of $10,000 for the academic year. A graduate assistant must be a full-time student working on a degree program. The students must maintain a 3.0 GPA and register for at least 9 graduate credit hours, but no more than 12 hours each semester. The student is expected to devote 20 hours a week to the duties of the full assistantship. All recipients must pay the regular Kentucky resident tuition and incidental fees.

This award entitles you to free University housing. The free housing rate will be based on a double occupancy residence hall room in Fields Hall. If the students choose University housing outside Fields Hall, they will be responsible for paying for the difference in the two rates. The student will not be eligible for a refund if the housing is less than the Fields Hall room.

International students who accept graduate assistantships must apply for and receive a Social Security card before they can be paid.


  • The student must first be admitted to a Graduate degree program.
    • Conditionally admitted students, on a limited basis, will be eligible for a one semester appointment.  If unconditional admission is not obtained within that one semester, the student will lose his/her GA appointment.
    • Unconditionally admitted student are eligible for a GA position for up to four semesters (two years).
  • Complete the entire Graduate Assistant Application, including MSU Employment Application and Criminal Background Check Release Form, located in Ginger Hall 701 or online at
  • It is the responsibility of the student to obtain an open GA position by contacting the student’s department of choice and inquiring about availability.
  • Once the department has made the hiring decision(s), a PAR (Personnel Action Request) will be submitted to the Graduate Office.  Please contact the department to determine if you have been selected as one of their GAs.
  • Once approved, the following steps will take place:
    • All GA waivers (tuition and/or housing) will be applied to the student’s financial account approximately one week prior to the beginning of the semester.
    • The student is to report to their hiring department and begin the 20 weekly hours of work during the first week of classes.
    • Also during the first week of classes, an award letter/contract will be issued to the student from the Graduate Office.  This contract must be signed and returned in order for the GA appointment to be valid.
  • In order to assure proper benefits are awarded to the appropriate students, a list of approved GA’s will be distributed to the necessary University offices.

**Please note that the Graduate Assistant Application has been amended as of 7/18/06.  This application packet now includes an application for employment as well as the criminal background check release form as required by the Office of Human Resources.  The GA application should be submitted to the Graduate Office.  The application for employment and the criminal background release form should be submitted to the office of Human Resources.**

                        Click here for a list of Graduate Assistant Positions Available

                 Click here to download the Graduate Assistantship Application Packet

Degrees and Programs

Chinese Version (中文版本)  

Back to Graduate Home