GENERAL EDUCATION COUNCIL COMMITTEE DESCRIPTION
The General Education Council, a University Standing Committee, will be responsible for the management of The General Education Program at Morehead State University. The General Education Council will be chaired by the General Education Director which will be appointed by the Provost. Council members will address the assessment procedures and course management of the general education curriculum. Additional non-voting member; full-time staff position of Assessment Coordinator to facilitate, collect and maintain analysis of assessment data who will report to the General Education Director and the Council.
Termination Date: Standing Committee, initiated April 2009. Revised June, 2010, Revised September, 2011, Revised November 2011.
Purpose: To establish, direct and maintain The General Education Program at Morehead State University.
Specific areas of review include but are not limited to:
· Program assessment
· Program course selection and approval
· Program structure
1. General Education Director (Chair)
2. Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs/Academic Programs (non-voting)
3. Registrar or representative of the Registrar's office (non-voting)
Accreditation Officer appointed by the Provost (non-voting) Assessment Coordinator
5. Department Chair or Equivalent
6. Department Chair or Equivalent
7. Chair-Elect of the Faculty Senate (voting)
8. Faculty Member At-Large 10-13
9. Faculty Member At-Large 10-13
10. Faculty Member representing College of Business and Public Affairs
11. Faculty Member representing College of Education
12. Faculty Member representing Caudill College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
13. Faculty Member representing College of Science and Technology
14. Faculty Member At-Large
15. Faculty Member At-Large
16. Faculty Member At-Large
17. Faculty Member At-Large
18. Dean of Library Services or his or her representative
19. First-Year Seminar Coordinator (ex officio, voting)
The General Education Director will be appointed by the Provost and will chair the General Education Council.
- Faculty Members representing their college must be tenured faculty. They will serve offset three year terms.
- The At-Large Faculty Members must routinely teach General Education courses. They will serve offset three year terms.
- No two voting faculty members will be from the same department. No Faculty Member or Department Chair or Equivalent can serve more than two consecutive terms. After two consecutive terms a member can only serve again after he or she has been off the committee for at least one year.
- The Chair-Elect of the Faculty Senate will serve a one year term and be responsible for communications between the General Education Council and the Faculty Senate. In the case where the Chair-Elect is already serving on the General Education Council, or is unable to serve, the Chair of the Faculty Senate will appoint a different faculty senator from the Executive Council.
- Departmental membership restrictions do not apply to the First Year Seminar Coordinator and the Chair-elect of the Faculty Senate.
- Department Chairs or Equivalent must be from different colleges and will serve offset three year terms.
- Any committee member may invite non-voting visitors to the Council to provide advising and input as deemed appropriate.
Membership Selection Process:
All faculty members on this Council, except the position of Chair-Elect of the Faculty Senate, will be approved by vote of the Faculty Senate. The General Education Director, with the Vice-Chair and the Chair Elect of the Faculty Senate, will submit to the Faculty Senate the name of an eligible faculty member for each open position on the General Education Council. The Faculty Senate will either approve or reject each faculty candidate by majority vote. In the event the Senate rejects a candidate, the Chair-Elect of the Senate may nominate another candidate for that position. Department Chairs or Equivalent will be selected by the Chairs Council of the University. The approval process will be completed in the Spring Semester for the appointments to start in the Fall Semester.
Support Staff: Staff Assessment Coordinator to facilitate the collection, maintenance, and analysis of assessment data collected by the general education council.
Duties and Responsibilities: (General Education Council)
- Direct, implement, and supervise the assessment process for The General Education Program
- Evaluate, process and approve General Education courses
- Recommend and approve suggestions for improvement for The General Education Program
Officers: Officers will be selected as follows: 1) Chair will be the General Education Director; 2) Secretarial support will be supplied from the Office of the Provost; 3) Vice Chair to be elected by the membership of the General Education Council.
Frequency of Meetings: Full committee is required to meet a minimum of once per academic year.
Minutes and Proposals to: Faculty Senate and Provost’s Office
Support Services: Office of the Provost.
Initial appointments for first General Education Council for Fall 2009
Terms of appointment for members of the General Education Council will be offset to allow for staggered appointments for different years. For the initial committee, some members will initially be appointed for two years to allow for the offset terms.
Initial Council Members to be approved for appointment:
The (year) will indicate when the initial term ends.
1. Department Chair or Equivalent (2011)
2. Department Chair or Equivalent (2012)
3. Faculty Member At-Large (2010-2013)
4. Faculty Member At-Large (2010-2013)
5. Faculty Member (College of Business and Public Affairs) (2011)
6. Faculty Member (College of Education) (2011)
7. Faculty Member (Caudill College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences) (2012)
8. Faculty Member (College of Science and Technology) (2012)
9. Faculty Member At-Large (2011)
10. Faculty Member At-Large (2011)
11. Faculty Member At-Large (2012)
12. Faculty Member At-Large (2012)
13. Dean of Library Services or his or her representative
The initial seating of faculty to positions on this Council will be coordinated by the Senate Governance Committee in consultation with The Office of the Provost. The Provost will appoint who is to represent the Provost’s office if he or she is not able to assist with the process. Faculty members will be determined and approved by vote of the Faculty Senate as indicated in the section on Membership Selection.
It is recommended that Council members asked to serve initial appointments will be notified by July 15th with the official approval process concluded before September 10th.