Morehead State University Standing & Advisory Committee Descriptions
STUDENT MEDIA BOARD
Termination Date: Standing Committee, last revision December 1999.
Purpose: To review and make recommendations on policies related to The TRAIL BLAZER and NewsCenter.
Membership: Voting membership of the committee shall consist of one faculty and/or staff member appointed by the President to represent the President, two non communications faculty members representing the faculty at large (At least one faculty member shall be a Faculty Senator, but Faculty Senators should not hold a majority of faculty membership on the committee.) (appointed by the President from three nominations for each position made by the Faculty Senate), two staff members representing the staff at large (appointed by the President from three nominations for each position made by the Staff Congress), the Chair of the Department of Communications (ex officio), one student currently majoring in communications with an emphasis in journalism and not holding an editorship of The Trail Blazer, selected by journalism majors; one student currently majoring in communications with an emphasis in advertising/public relations and not holding an editorship of The Trail Blazer, selected by advertising/public relations majors; one student currently majoring in communications with an emphasis in electronic media and not holding the directorship on NewsCenter, selected by electronic media majors; two students not majoring in communications or serving on the staff of The Trail Blazer and NewsCenter representing the students at large selected by the Student Government Association in consultation with The TRAIL BLAZER and NewsCenter Director; and the faculty advisors to The TRAIL BLAZER and NewsCenter (ex officio voting). The editors of The TRAIL BLAZER and NewsCenter 12 shall be voting members during their tenure in that position. Terms for staff and faculty shall be two years with no more than one half in each category being replaced each year. Faculty and staff may serve two successive terms. Term of service for the students shall be one year beginning each fall, with a possible one year reappointment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To support the student media in their role of serving their readership and viewing audience.
- To assure that personnel are appointed for proper management and production of the student media.
- To adopt and implement policies and procedures necessary for the efficient management and production of the student media.
- To review and recommend an annual budget for each student media.
- To select students for, and where necessary dismiss students from, executive staff positions on each student media operation. The executive positions shall be designated as
- The Trail Blazer
- Managing Editor
- Editorial Page Editor
- Advertising Manager
- News Director
- Assignment Editor
- To monitor the laboratory functions of the student media and to assure that the academic functions are being carried out.
- To arbitrate in all controversial matters concerning student media.
- To arbitrate in all appeals relating to the discipline or dismissal of a staff member of a student publication or media operation.
- To approve and implement editorial, fiscal, production and personnel policies for the student media.
- To review operating procedures as they relate to governmental regulatory guidelines, procedures and policies.
Officers: Chair - the Chair of the Department of Communications who shall vote only in case of tie; a Vice Chair and a Secretary to be selected by the committee from the membership.
Frequency of Meetings: Minimum of nine times during the academic year.
Reporting Channels: Recommendatory to the President. Recommended changes in policies and procedures shall be reported to the Faculty Senate and Staff Congress.
Minutes and Proposals Copied to: The Library, Faculty Senate, Student Government Association, and Staff Congress.
Support Services: Office of the Chair of the Department of Communications.
[home] [membership] [description]