Morehead State University Standing & Advisory Committee Descriptions
STUDENT DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE
Termination Date: Standing Committee, last revision April 1994, January 2011.
Purpose: To provide students a level of appeal on nonacademic matters.
Membership: Voting membership of the committee shall consist of one faculty member from each college selected by the Faculty Senate (At least one faculty member shall be a Faculty Senator, but Faculty Senators should not hold a majority of faculty membership on the committee.), two staff members from the executive managerial and/or professional non-faculty categories selected by the Staff Congress, four students one from each college selected by the Student Government Association, and one student who must reside in University housing and is selected by the Student Government Association. Every effort will be made to have each case heard by an equal number of faculty/staff and students, with the exception of the chairperson. The term of service for the faculty members and staff members shall be two years with no more than one-half of the members being replaced each year. Students shall serve one-year terms.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To serve as an optional hearing committee for alleged violations of University student regulations as specified in the Student Conduct Code, which may result in dismissal or suspension from Morehead State University.
- To serve as an appeals committee for decisions evolving from disciplinary hearings with designated Student Life personnel.
- To insure due process for students allegedly involved in violating regulations which may result in possible dismissal or suspension from Morehead State University.
- To impose sanction(s) if the alleged violator is determined guilty.
- To notify the student and the Vice President for Student Life of all imposed sanctions and appeals decisions.
- To review annually and recommend appropriate changes in the Student Conduct Code.
Officers: Chair - to be selected by the committee from the faculty/staff membership who shall vote only in case of a tie; a Vice Chair and a Secretary to be selected by the committee from the membership.
Frequency of Meetings: as required.
Reporting Channels: Vice President for Student Life.
Minutes and Proposals Copied to: The Library, Faculty Senate, Student Government Association, and Staff Congress. (Published minutes should protect the confidentiality of students in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act.)
Support Services: Office of the Vice President for Student Life.
[home] [membership] [description]