Morehead State University Standing & Advisory Committee Descriptions
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Termination Date: Standing Committee, last revision May, 2003.
Purpose: To promote excellence in teaching, and to evaluate application for, and recommend selection of, the University's Distinguished Teacher, and to recommend policies and activities related to faculty development, especially in the evaluation of applications for sabbatical leave of absence.
Membership: Voting membership of the committee shall consist of one tenured faculty member selected by the Faculty Senate from each college (of which at least one faculty member shall be a Faculty Senator, but Faculty Senators should not hold a majority of faculty membership on the committee), one professional librarian selected by the Faculty Senate, one student selected by the Student Government Association (for the sole purposes of selecting the Distinguished Teacher Award and shall not be present for discussion nor vote on issues of sabbatical or educational leave), the most recent recipient of the Distinguished Teacher Award, the most recent recipient of the Distinguished Research Award, the most recent recipient of the Creative Production Award, and the Director of the Center for Leadership & Professional Development (who shall serve as an ex-officio non-voting member of the committee). Term of service shall be two years with terms staggered such that one half of the elected faculty are replaced each year. Terms of service for students and award recipients shall be one year. Should a faculty member on the committee be nominated for the distinguished Teacher Award, that faculty member shall be replaced by an alternate named by the Faculty Senate. Should a faculty member on the committee apply for sabbatical leave of absence, that faculty member shall be replaced by an alternate named by the Faculty Senate Governance Committee, for the purpose of the evaluation of the applications for sabbatical leave of absence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To recognize, publicize, and promote excellence in teaching.
- To evaluate proposals for, and award internal grants for, innovations in teaching.
- To review standardized instructional feedback instruments for use by faculty in their classes and in consultation with the Faculty Senate Academic Policies Committee recommend same to the Provost.
- To consult and advise the Provost concerning university grading practices and report to the faculty concerning such practices.'
- To solicit, review and consider making recommendations on nominations of faculty for the Distinguished University Teacher Award.
- To decide the process of evaluating Distinguished Teacher nominees as per the criteria set forth by the Distinguished Teacher Award Guidelines.
- To develop a list of recommended professional development activities to be completed in the upcoming fiscal year and to report that list to the Director of Critical Thinking, the Provost and the Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Programs.
- To evaluate and make recommendations to the Provost regarding faculty requests for sabbatical and educational leaves as specified in PAc-17 and PAc-28 respectively.
Officers: Chair selected by the committee who shall vote only in case of a tie; a Vice Chair /Chair Elect and a Secretary to be selected by the committee from the membership.
Frequency of Meetings: As required. Must have a quorum of at least 2/3 of the committee members. Items to be voted upon require a simple majority of the voting members.
Reporting Channels: Recommendatory to the Provost. Recommended changes in policies and procedures shall be reported to the Faculty Senate.
Minutes and Proposals Copied to: The University Archives in the Library, Faculty Senate, Student Government Association, and Staff Congress.
Support Services: Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Programs and the Office of the Dean of Graduate and Extended Campus Programs.
[home] [membership] [description]