Morehead State University Standing & Advisory Committee Descriptions
UNIVERSITY GRADUATE COMMITTEE
Termination Date: Standing Committee, last revision April 2011; July 2012, August 2012.
Purpose: To review and make recommendations on policies and regulations pertaining to graduate study; to advise the Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate School in the execution of these policies; to review and recommend the approval of graduate programs and courses.
Membership: Voting membership of the committee shall consist of two faculty members with graduate teaching status from each college selected by the Faculty Senate (At least one faculty member shall be a Faculty Senator, but Faculty Senators should not hold a majority of faculty membership on the committee); one graduate student from each college selected by the Student Government Association, the Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate School, the Registrar (ex officio, non-voting), and the Dean of Library Services or his/her designee. The faculty members shall serve two year terms with one member of each college being replaced each year. Term of service for student members shall be one year.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To examine and evaluate the graduate curriculum of the University for possible improvement.
- To recommend revisions and to initiate suggestions for study or actions by the graduate faculty of the colleges and/or departments.
- To pursue the development of experimental and innovative graduate curricular programs.
- To make recommendations on proposals for new graduate curricular programs and changes in graduate offerings which have been approved by the appropriate college graduate committee and dean.
- To coordinate and promote the activities of the college graduate committee.
- To recommend policies, standards, and regulations pertaining to graduate academic programs and admissions.
- To make the final decision on appointments to the graduate faculty as outlined in PAc-6 in the event the nomination is rejected by the college graduate committee.
- To review the admissions standards for University graduate programs.
Officers: Chair - Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate School who shall vote only in case of a tie; and a Vice Chair as selected by the committee from the membership.
Frequency of Meetings: At least twice a semester.
Reporting Channels: Recommendatory to the Provost. Recommended changes in policies and procedures shall be reported to the Faculty Senate.
Minutes & Proposals Copied to: The Library, Faculty Senate, Student Government Association, Staff Congress, and Registrar.
Support Services: Office of the Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate School shall provide administrative support.
[home] [membership] [description]