Using Windows XP Remote Desktop
Remote desktop is a method of allowing use of your office PC resources when you are at home or traveling. Though this is convenient, it is not a supported application nor is it considered secure. The following guide provides instruction on setup of the connection and the necessary firewall parameters for the most secure setup possible. These directions are provided 'AS-IS'. No further support is available.
VPN gateway access is required to use remote desktop. VPN access may be requested by your department chair/director.
Users must also read PG-55 and be aware of restrictions to the use of remote desktop and Morehead State University resources and their responsibilities.
Office Computer Setup
The office PC desktop user must have a password. If, when you start your computer and select a user, you do not enter a password to start Windows, then you must now set a password before you can continue. Otherwise, start with step 2.
1. Setting a password
- Navigate on your Start menu to Control Panel
- Click to open Control Panel
- Double click on the icon for 'User Accounts'
- Double click on the icon for the user name you use on start up
- Click on 'Create a password' and follow the prompts
2. Remote Desktop
- Navigate on your Start menu to My Computer.
- Right Click My Computer to bring up the sub menu
- Select and click Properties
- You should get a dialog box for your system settings
- Select the Remote tab
- Uncheck the Remote Assistance if it is checked
- Check the Remote Desktop box
You MUST set firewall protection for your office PC. The remote desktop setup has made an entry to allow connections through the firewall. You must make restrictions to add security.
- Open Control Panel and double click Windows Firewall
- Make sure that it is set to ON
- Click the Exceptions tab
- Highlight the Remote Desktop entry and click the Edit button
- A dialog box will appear for Edit a Service
- Click the Change Scope button
- In the Change Scope dialog box, select Custom List
- Make the following entry: 18.104.22.168/255.255.255.128
- Click OK on each dialog box to save and close
Your office PC will now accept remote desktop requests through the VPN Gateway only.
4. Office PC IP address
You will need the IP address of your office PC to connect remotely.
- Open Control Panel
- Double click the icon for Network Connections
- Double click your Local Area Connection to open a Status dialog
- Click the Support tab
- Record the number listed at 'IP Address:'
Note: IP addresses are assigned by DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol). Though addresses seldom change, they are not guaranteed to remain constant. Check the address each time you plan to be away from the office.
Home Computer Setup
- Start your VPN connection .
- Navigate in your Start Menu to All Programs | Accessories | Communications | Remote Desktop Connection and click
- Click the Options>> button in the Connection dialog box
- Enter the IP address of your office computer
- Click the Connect button
- You should see your office computer desktop login screen
- Enter the User name for your office computer
- Enter the password for your office computer
You should see your office PC desktop appear on your screen.
Be sure to log off or disconnect when you are done with your session and disconnect your VPN connection.