Using Snap 9 Survey Software
Unlike previous versions of the Snap survey development software used at MSU, version 9 is installed onto the user's workstation instead of run remotely from a server. However, a connection to the Snap server is required to install the software.
Getting Snap Installed on Your Computer (Windows Only)
The following steps will get Snap 9 up and running on your workstation.
- Make sure that you have a Windows networking account at MSU so that you can connect to the server. This account is different than other accounts that you may have (i.e. AIMS Web, Webmail, etc.) If you are unsure about whether or not you have an account, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Windows networking account consists of a user name and password generally in the follwing formats:
User name: campus\<first letter of first name><last name>
Password: <last name>
For example, John Smith's user name and password are the following:
User name: campus\jsmith
- From your Desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.
- From the Tools menu, select Map Network Drive...
- In the "Drive" field, select an unused drive letter from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Folder” field type \\newton\snap9$, and then click Finish.
- In the “User name” and “Password” fields, type your user name and password (see step 1 for more information on this), and then click OK.
- When the “Snap9$” directory appears, double-click the Netsetup folder.
- Double-click setup.exe and follow the instructions detailed by the Snap 9 installation wizard.
There are a variety of training modules available in .pdf format to help you use Snap 9. Links to the modules are found below.
Quickstart Guide to Snap
Module 1: Introduction to Snap
Module 2: Questionnaire Design and Publication
Module 3: Key Data Entry and Editing
Module 4: Analysis of Results
Module 5: Online Interviewing and Analysis
Configuring Email to Receive Snap Survey Responses
Troubleshooting: If you have any problems or questions regarding the installation and use of Snap 9, send email to email@example.com