Subject: Educational Leave of Absence
Approval Date: 11/17/89
Revision Date: 11/22/91; 03/03/2001; 06/10/2001
1. To provide a leave of absence for advanced study leading to the earning of a degree in the applicant's teaching field or a related field.
2. To provide a leave of absence for retraining and preparation for a specific vacancy.
The privilege of an educational leave of absence may be granted to an individual who has demonstrated through annual performance evaluation of teaching effectiveness, professional activities, and service, an above-average potential to provide tangible contributions to the University upon completion of this educational leave of absence.
All requests for educational leave will be considered. However, budgetary constraints that may vary from year to year may limit the number of leaves granted.
Full-time faculty members, Standing I appointments, who meet the following conditions are eligible to apply for an educational leave of absence:
1. Rank of instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, or professor.
2. A minimum of three consecutive contract years of full-time teaching. Time spent on any type of leave of absence is not counted towards full-time service for the purposes of an educational leave.
An educational leave will not be granted to an individual who cannot provide two contract years of full-time service to the University following return from the educational leave.
CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION:
The following factors will be considered in evaluating an application for an educational leave of absence:
1. The academic department's/University's need for the faculty member to have additional advanced study.
2. The benefit received by the academic department/University as a result of the faculty member completing additional advanced study.
3. Quality of academic service of the faculty member.
The faculty member is responsible for submitting the application for an educational leave on the form provided. Such applications should be submitted to the department chair by December 15 preceding the fiscal year during which the leave is to begin.
The applications shall be reviewed by a Departmental Leave Committee (composed of tenured faculty members), the Department Chair, the College Dean, the University Faculty Leave Committee, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty. No person shall serve on both departmental and University leave committees. The recommendations of each review level shall be recorded and submitted to the next higher level of review.
Recommendations will be made by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty to the President.
Educational leave of absence applications which are recommended by the President shall be presented to the Board of Regents for final approval at its third quarterly meeting.
A person granted an educational leave will receive full monthly base salary for up to one semester payable over the semester or one-half of the monthly base salary for up to two semesters payable over nine, ten, or twelve months. The salary will be based upon that which the person would have received for the academic year had the educational leave not been taken. After the Educational Leave of Absence the faculty member is eligible to apply for a leave of absence without pay.
FACULTY RIGHTS DURING THE LEAVE:
The successful applicant will retain the following rights during time spent on an educational leave:
1. The recipient who is a member of a University insurance plan will continue to receive coverage at the same rates while on an educational leave. This applies to dependents as well.
2. If the recipient is a KTRS participant, retirement contributions will not be withheld during time spent on educational leave nor will the University make retirement contributions on their behalf. However, educational leave recipients will be eligible to purchase service credit for the period of time spent on educational leave according to the guidelines set forth by the KTRS. If the educational leave participant chooses to purchase the service credit within the "interest-free period" as established by the KTRS, the University will pay the difference between the service credit purchase price and the amount that would have otherwise been deducted from the recipient’s pay if contributions had been allowed by KTRS. If the educational leave participant chooses not to purchase the service credit, the University will make no contributions on the participant’s behalf. Retirement withholdings for non-KTRS educational leave recipients and contributions by the University on their behalf will continue at the rates in effect before the educational leave began.
3. The faculty member may request to credit one academic year towards the probationary period for tenure (if in a tenure track position) and length of service in rank for promotion. This request must be made on the Educational Leave of Absence Application Form. Leave not counted towards probationary time will be considered a break in continuous service. Non-tenured faculty members returning from leave not counted towards tenure will be in probationary status with zero years credit unless credit for, up to three years, previous experience at Morehead State University is applied upon return to active employment as specified in PAc-27 (Probationary or Pre-tenure).
4. The recipient will return to the former position with the University unless otherwise agreed to by the employer and employee.
The recipient will have the following obligations regarding the educational leave:
1. The recipient of an educational leave will submit the following reports to the appropriate college dean:
a. An interim report will be submitted at the completion of each semester/quarter. This report will consist of a description of course work completed and credit earned.
b. A final report will be submitted at the completion of the educational leave consisting of transcripts of courses completed, description of how the leave was spent, and status of degree completion.
2. An agreement will be drawn up between the recipient and the University stating the approved course work during the educational leave and the recipient's rights and obligations. Failure of the recipient to comply with the contractual provisions of the educational leave will result in cancellation of the leave and forfeiture of all rights specified in the leave agreement.
3. After the educational leave expires the recipient shall return to service at Morehead State University for two years or repay the amount of salary received while on leave. If the recipient of an educational leave returns to the University for a period less than the time contracted, the amount of salary to be repaid shall be prorated in relation to the amount of return service given.
SUBSEQUENT LEAVES OF ABSENCE:
An individual becomes eligible to apply for a subsequent educational leave of absence under the terms and conditions specified.
The President has the option of making exceptions to the above stated policy when deemed in the best interest of the University.