The Payroll Associate is primarily responsible for processing the online College Work study Payroll; assists in entering various payrolls; assists in remittances and reconciliation of miscellaneous payroll liabilities; communicates with employees regarding payroll, tax and insurance concerns when required. This position requires a high level of confidentiality, computer skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for processing online college work study payroll, which includes but is not limited to creating, maintaining, reconciling, and printing the student payroll release.
- Generates support documents for the college work study program and assists Financial Aid with training workshops.
- Assist with training and supervising the Minolta scanning process of payroll files.
- Performs routine payroll data entry verification including W4, K4, parking, MSU Foundation, credit union, Eagle Trace, etc.
- Processes payments for child support, garnishments, credit union, etc.
- Performs audits on student payroll general ledger accounts to ensure that students are charged properly at least twice per semester.
- Maintains MTDL on Colleague and approves/prints workflows.
- Assists with Web Advisor timecard access requests.
- Assists with routine inquiries from employees on pay status, tax, insurance, etc.
- Assists with input of payroll (creates/changes) information.
- Assists Senior Payroll Associate in processing the non-exempt and exempt payroll checks as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The Payroll Associate reports to the Payroll Manager. This position interacts with faculty, staff, and students. Also interacts with various external federal, state, and local governments as needed.
Associates degree and 2 years of experience related to the duties described above or a high school diploma or equivalent and six years experience related to the duties described above. Must have excellent people skills and be proficient in oral and written communications, exercise good judgment, must accept responsibility and perform duties in an atmosphere of team-like cooperation. Excellent keyboarding and computer skills are required. Extensive experience with word processing and spreadsheet software.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
The Payroll Associate should be knowledgeable of Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint); understand general accounting procedures; possess bookkeeping experience; and be able to handle pressure situations.
Working Conditions and Atmosphere
You must anticipate a routine office environment with frequent interruptions. You will be expected to have the ability to handle the pressure of meeting deadlines on a constant basis. As a result, vacation time may be restricted.
Date Approved/Revised: June 1, 2010