Administrative Support Assistant, University College
With limited supervision, coordinates office operations and reports directly to the Assistant Vice President University College. The Administrative Support Assistant has signing and approval duties as identified by the Assistant Vice President; assists the office staff and serves as the initial contact with students and the public. Manages the office within the context of office and university regulations and directives, assuming administrative tasks as needed. The position requires the ability to anticipate tasks that need to be done and to work independently with initiative to accomplish tasks while simultaneously completing the daily routine work. Must be knowledgeable of office and university programs in order to answer inquiries based upon office guidelines and administrative policy. Supervises student employees and/or clerical staff. Dealing with confidential matters is a critical aspect of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as office manager for the office.
- Sorts and distributes mail, greets, screens and directs faculty, students, staff, administrators and the general public as needed.
- Maintains and monitors the unit budgets, supplying data and statistics to the Assistant Vice President, University College for budget preparation.
- Insures the office always operates professionally, smoothly, and efficiently.
- Supervises activities and prepares payroll records of graduate assistant/ student employees.
- Prepares travel requests and vouchers, making necessary arrangements such as procuring car, plane tickets, room reservations, etc.
- Answers telephones and responds to inquiries or takes accurate phone messages.
- Orders supplies and equipment, and maintains inventory.
- Maintains staff vacation/sick records and time sheets and submits them to Payroll.
- Handles memos, letters, office correspondence, reports, etc. most of which are of a complex or confidential nature.
- Responsible for supplying specialized assistance to Assistant Vice President ad hoc committees/councils.
- Performs data entry for Datatel (registration, pre-registrations, SOAR registrations, and the drop/add process).
- Operates and/or supervises the operation of all office equipment including typewriter, microcomputer, word processor, various printers, calculator, copier, etc.
- Serves as needed as Secretary for various committees, takes minutes, distributes information, etc.
- Prepares and submits check requests, purchase requisitions, interaccount requisitions and other University forms as necessary.
- Schedules and arranges meetings, makes room assignments for special events, and schedules rooms for use for office needs.
- Oversees distribution and placement of multi-media carts, projectors, TVs, and other equipment owned by the office.
- Records, reconciles and maintains accounts for credit card purchases.
- Collaborates in the development and distribution of office literature and brochures, using publishing software and replenishes the stock as necessary.
- Plans and organizes meetings, retreats, and special functions for the office .
- Maintains and monitors grants budgets as appropriate, supplying data and statistics to the Assistant Vice President and other staff for grant administrationOrganizes and maintains office assessment records.
- Assists the Assistant Vice President in preparing Annual Report.
- Works with Assistant Vice President to maintain and retrieve all records related to programs.
- Reviews and is responsible for producing, printing, and distributing the Program Review Portfolio
- Reviews and answers routine memos and correspondence under own signature and/or at the permission of the director or other office members.
- Supervises Graduate Assistants/ student employees.
- Attends workshops for the purpose of learning new programs added to the Datatel system.
- Processes PARs for on and off-campus events for all staff.
- Serves students, faculty, staff, and administrators in multiple office programs. Must be familiar with program requirements and needs.
- Serves as office liaison handling communication of information, human resources paperwork, materials, key requests, and other miscellaneous details of employment in the office .
- Initiates job search for vacant staff positions using Novus system.
- Initial contact with students serves as a recruitment effort.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President.
The Administrative Support Assistant reports to the Assistant Vice President, University College. The Administrative Support Assistant supervises Graduate Assistants and student employees and/or other clerical staff. Interacts with administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
Associate's degree and four years of progressively responsible secretarial experience; or high school diploma or GED equivalent with 8 years of progressively responsible secretarial experience. Must have experience with and knowledge of various computer software related to office needs.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
Bachelor's Degree desirable. Experience in an academic setting or similar setting preferred. Additional experience beyond that minimally required. Specialized experience with payroll, budget monitoring, and the maintenance of bookkeeping records associated with office accounts.
Working Conditions and Atmosphere
The Administrative Support Assistant works in a highly productive office environment with interruptions and noise due to frequency of visitors, students, faculty, staff, and callers. Pressure is expected on the job due to the frequency and number of visitors and callers and the meeting of multiple job deadlines. Overtime may be required during peak periods of the year. This position calls for initiative, good judgment, and a high degree of responsibility, and the ability to handle information of a confidential nature.
Date Approved/Revised: July 1, 2010