As a key member of the institution’s communications and marketing team, the University Editor is responsible for accuracy and consistency of the editorial content of the University’s print and electronic communications, including but not limited to academic catalogs, institutional magazines, annual reports, news releases, promotional brochures, posters and displays, and admissions marketing materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as editor-in-chief and principal writer of official University communications projects, print and electronic.
- Coordinates editorial workflow of official communications projects.
- Establishes and/or maintains consistent editorial style of official communications.
- Edits the writing of others as necessary to achieve accurate, effective communications.
- Assists administrators and others in the development of editorial content of print and electronic communications.
- Advises administrators, faculty and staff members on copyright issues, in consultation with University Legal Counsel.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President for Communications and Marketing and/or the Vice President for University Advancement.
The University Editor reports to the Assistant Vice President for Communications and Marketing and is a staff member in the Office of Communications and Marketing. The University Editor works closely with the vice presidents, deans and other administrators and interacts with other campus personnel as required.
Master's degree in English, journalism or communications or a related field with minimum of five years of experience in writing and editing for publication. Desktop publishing proficiency. Working knowledge of commercial printing.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
Familiarity with higher education publications. Experience in managing multiple projects.
Working Conditions and Atmosphere
Routine office environment with heavy reliance on e-mail communications. Evening and weekend hours may be required to meet deadlines.
Date Approved/Revised: October 20, 2008