Vice President for Student Life
The Vice President for Student Life serves as the chief student life officer of the institution and is responsible for establishing and maintaining a student environment which is conducive to learning, provides a sense of community, and allows students to fulfill their growth potential through responsible participation and involvement in the total life of the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides support for a learning environment which serves the needs and development of all students.
- Provides adequate staff, resources, and facilities to address the physical, social, cultural, psychological, and financial needs of students.
- Cooperates and coordinates with other administrative offices and academic departments in enhancing University conditions and processes which contribute to student growth and retention.
- Provides supervision for the intercollegiate athletics program through the Director of Athletics.
- Provides input for appropriate policies, procedures, and programs that provide for the general welfare of the University community and which enable students to attain academic and personal goals.
- Provides professional leadership in recruitment, development, and evaluation of Student Life staff.
- Serves as the primary budget manager for Student Life and develops budgetary and operational plans based upon specific student development goals.
- Coordinates organizational efficiency of Student Life and recommends necessary modifications to the President.
- Supports the institution’s commitment to equal educational opportunity and actively assists in meeting the actions set forth in the University’s affirmative action plan.
- Serves as staff support for Student Life and External Relations Committee of Board of Regents.
- Provides for the temporal requirements of students such as health care, housing, and financial aid.
- Represents the needs of students by serving as a resource and advocate in interpreting student life and behavior to faculty, staff, and other constituencies of the University.
- Supervises student judicial affairs program of the University.
- Serves on a variety of standing and ad hoc University committees.
- Serves as administrative liaison to the Student Government Association
- Performs other duties as assigned by President.
The Vice President for Student Life reports to the President. This position interacts with students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and other University constituencies. Must be able to relate to all interests of the University and serve as an integral part of the senior-level administrative team.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution. Record of successful college-level teaching and minimum of five years of progressively responsible executive-level experience and proven administrative abilities in an institution of higher education.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
Doctorate is preferred. One or more degrees in student personnel administration, counseling, or closely related field. Successful administrative experience in student services at another institution is helpful. High level of energy and ability to relate well to students, faculty, staff, and parents.
Working Conditions and Atmosphere
The Vice President is provided with adequate office facilities and an adequate staff. Regular office hours plus frequent evening and weekend work are the norm.