Web Shared Services Administrator III
Under the general supervision of the Lead Senior Web Shared Services Administrator the Web Shared Services Administrator III is a specialist for the development, programming and maintenance of enterprise level administrative and academic web applications at MSU. Duties include design, security, development, testing, and implementing of new or enhanced web application services. The Web Shared Services Administrator III understands application business rules and requirements to the degree necessary to provide implementation, configuration or consulting services to end users.
The Web Shared Services Administrator III works on multiple projects as a project member and sometimes as a team leader. This position also supports multiple systems of medium complexity (complexity defined by database size, technology used, and system feeds and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility of the data. Trains and provides technical leadership for Web Shared Services Administrators I and II.
These responsibilities are carried out in a team environment, working effectively with colleagues, leading and participating fully and creatively on teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works on projects including web-based applications, website enhancements, database-backed websites and web layout enhancements.
- Creates Web pages using mainstream mark-up languages as well as Web authoring software.
- Participates in processes concerning the architecture of new applications to meet client needs.
- Works in several Industry Standard mainstream programming languages.
- Applies Web related updates, patches, and configuration changes.
- Provides training and technical leadership for Wed Shared Services Administrators I and II on assigned projects.
- Communicates externally with other institutions and various consulting agencies to identify opportunities for resource-sharing or solicitation of external support when necessary.
- Maintains familiarity with new technology standards and how each may be applied to the future growth and development of the services provided IT Systems Services.
- Other job duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Presents a professional attitude and appearance at all times when working with other ITSS staff and faculty.
- Maintains a high degree of customer service skills when dealing with University personnel.
- Assists with OIT help desk as needed.
The Web Shared Services Administrator III reports to the Lead Senior Web Shared Services Administrator. The Web Shared Services Administrator III must work closely with other OIT staff, faculty, University administrators, external technical staff, and statewide peers to foster and support effective instruction in a technology-enhanced teaching and learning environment.
Bachelors in a technology-related field and four years experience in the implementation, maintenance and support of highly complex enterprise web applications and subsystems, and will possess solid technical, analytical and communication skills. Relevant knowledge, skills and abilities include configuring and supporting web servers, debugging, optimization, tuning and troubleshooting. Thorough understanding of HTML, XSLT, and CSS. Strong problem solving skills and a proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
Masters degree in a technology related field. Industry Standard certifications such as MCPD, CWP, etc.
Working Conditions and Atmosphere
The Web Shared Services Administrator III is stationed in the Information Technology System Services Unit. Standard office environment is maintained. Additional work in the evenings and weekends is occasionally required.
Date Approved/Revised: April 5, 2010