Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
GEARUP encourages students, particularly those from low-income backgrounds, to set high expectations, stay in school, study hard, and take the courses that will prepare them to succeed in college. Beginning in seventh grade, GEAR UP students participate in activities such as tutoring, mentoring, financial aid, college preparation workshops, college visits, career exploration, and summer enrichment programs. GEAR UP Kentucky is a federal grant awarded to the Council on Postsecondary Education to provide services to students in designated Kentucky schools. Morehead State University is one of several higher education institutions that serves as a GEAR UP Kentucky host site.
- Increase students' academic expectations and performance
- Provide career and college exploration opportunities for students
- Assist schools in establishing a rigorous curriculum and developing a college-going culture that fosters high expectations among students, parents, and school staff
- Provide college planning and financial aid information to families
- Develop a broad base of business, education, and community support for schools
WHAT DOES GEAR UP MEAN FOR STUDENTS & PARENTS?