Print Logo
  • Housing is much more about you.

    Office of Student Housing

  • Much more community

    Office of Student Housing

  • Much more connection

    Office of Student Housing

MSU Home :: FAQ

Housing Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for Housing?
Incoming students will apply for housing online through their MyMoreheadState portal. Instructions can be found here. A $200 non-fundable Housing Application Fee is part of the application and is also paid online.

Is there an application deadline?
The priority deadline is July 1st.  Any application received after that date will not be guaranteed  a housing assignment.  There is no application deadline, however housing assignments are given in the order applications and application fees are received. The earlier you get your application in the better your chances are of receiving the accommodation and roommate request you want.

Can I commute to MSU? Do I have to live on campus?

All full time students under the age of 21, who have not accumulated 60 University recognized credit hours are required to reside on campus. If your parent/guardian lives within 50 miles of campus, you're married, or you're a single parent you can commute, however you must have an Exemption Request Form (waiver request) on file with the Housing Office. Filing the waiver request for the on-campus residency policy can be done online by clicking here.

Can I get a private room?
We have limited space which does not allow us to offer single accommodations. If you feel you have a special circumstance, such as a medical condition, that should be considered when making your assignment you should contact our office.

Does MSU have Family housing?
We do not have space to accommodate our married students or students with families on campus. We recommend that you look in the Morehead community for additional options.

When do I have to be in my room at night?
There is no curfew for on campus residents, however there are visitation hours for opposite sex guests. Exterior building doors are locked 24 hours a day and it is required that students use their Eagle Card to enter their designated building.

Who will clean my room?
Although custodial staff are employed in all Residence Halls/Apartments to keep all public areas and public/community bathrooms clean, you are expected to clean your own room and bathroom (apartments and suites have bathrooms in the living unit which students are responsible for cleaning).

May I have overnight guests of the same sex in my room?
Yes, but only if they are registered with a hall staff member and do not create a disturbance to your roommate or other residents. Guests of residents are not permitted to stay for longer than 3 nights per week. Students residing in University Housing are responsible for assuring that their guests are aware of and comply with all policies and procedures of Morehead State University.

What is my mailing address if I live on campus?
Your mailing address is Your Name, Your Room Number - Your Residence Hall, Morehead State University, Morehead, KY 40351. For example Beaker Eagle, 101 Alumni Tower, Morehead State University, Morehead, KY 40351.

Are my personal belongings insured by the University?
No. The University does not assume responsibility at any time for the private property of its students and is not liable for the loss or damage of any article of personal property anywhere on the premises. You or your parents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover your personal property.

How do I pay for my housing?
Your housing fees are applied to your student account just like your tuition. You should refer to the University calendar for the University fee schedule.

What if I get to campus and find that my roommate(s) and I are not compatible?
Students are required to fill out a roommate agreement during the first week of school. This typically helps to resolve issues prior to them arising. If you find that things are not working out we encourage our students to talk to one another. If at this point it seems that things are not getting better, students should contact their Resident Advisor to set up a roommate mediation. If after this process is complete you still feel it would be better to remove yourself from your living situation the Housing Office will help you identify other spaces on campus.

Will I be allowed to decorate my room?
Yes, however we ask that when decorating you use materials that will not damage the room. (We recommend 3M adhesive hooks and painters tape).

What should I bring/not bring with me to campus?
Please click here for a list of suggested items. Please note that this list is not ALL inclusive!

May I remain in the Residence Hall if I withdraw from school?
No, due to the demand for on-campus space, you must be enrolled. If you withdraw from school, you must check out of your room within 48 hours, unless an extension is granted by the Dean of Students or the Housing Office.

What are the requirements to live in campus apartments?
We require students to have 48 University recognized credit hours and a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.5 when applying for apartment housing.

I will be a freshman and would like to live with an upperclassman; is this possible?
Currently, freshman residents will be assigned to freshman-only housing.  Upperclass residents will be assigned to upperclass-only housing.  Current freshman only buildings are Cooper, Butler, Mignon Tower, East Mignon Hall, as well as specific floors in Cartmell  Hall, effective Fall 2014.


© Copyright 2015 Morehead State University - 150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1-800-585-6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.