Faculty Senate Minutes
December 6, 2012
Call to Order: Chair Chatham called the meeting to order at 4:12 pm; Riggle Room, ADUC
Senators Absent: Ignacio Birriel, Lisa McDavid, Lee Nabb
Minutes: Senator Hypes moved to approve the minutes of November 15, 2012 as submitted. Motion seconded and passed. Senator Abell moved to approve the minutes of November 29, 2012 as submitted. Motion seconded and passed.
• Chair Chatham recapped the activities and accomplishments of the Senate this semester.
• Chair Chatham provided the following answers to two questions he asked the Registrar regarding the “E” and “U” grades and asked the Senators to share with their constituents:
o Q1. If my student stops attending class, misses some assignments, but comes in and takes the final, do I assign a U? No, you assign the grade the student earned in the class.
o Q2. I didn’t take attendance (e.g., “the class is online”, or maybe “I don’t believe in taking attendance in a college class”). What do I report as the “date he/she stopped attending your class?” You need to do your best at estimating the date the student stopped attending or if it’s an online class I’m sure you can check the student’s login record and determine the last date according to that.
• EC met with the President and Provost on December 4, 2012 and discussed several issues.
• Some items for the spring semester are:
• Gen Ed proposal to revise the Student Learner Outcomes (SLO) and assessment for SLOs
o Promotion policy (if you have questions or concerns please inform Chair Chatham or Senator Gibbs)
o Forums for Faculty Salary Model
o Discussion of the Technology Plan
• Provost provided a report to the BOR today on Retention and offered to provide the report to the Senate if they asked. MSU’s six year graduate rate is about 39 percent. Administration has set a goal of 43% for May 2013. The Provost offered to share the presentation with the full Senate. PAc 17 - Sabbatical Leave was passed by BOR today.
• PAc 2 – Promotion is being reviewed in the Reconciliation Committee. At this time, applicants applying for promotion may do so in their fifth year.
• Summer school is being discussed; summer school has not always been financially profitable
• Graduation is December 15, 2012; the Provost asked that faculty please have grades in on time
• Provost Hughes explained many initiatives the University is using to help retain students. Faculty members are being asked to help with the retention issue.
Provost Hughes entertained several questions.
Regent’s Report: Quarterly BOR Meeting was held today, December 6, 2012 at 9 a.m. Six sabbaticals were approved during the meeting. Regent Morrison also spoke about how important retention is for the University. The Provost will provide the Retention Report for posting on the Senate webpage.
Gen Ed Council: Senator Rathbun stated that First Year Seminar Proposals for next year can be submitted. GEC is in process of reviewing documentation regarding exchange courses. They are also working to revise the SLOs which should be presented to Senate on January 30, 2013. They are also working to equalize the number of SLOs in every Gen Ed Course.
Senate Committee on Issues will meet with Steve Richmond on December 13, 2013.
New Business: Senator McCormick moved to ask for a briefing on Retention to be given to the full Senate in January. Senator Abell seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Adjournment: 5:15 p.m.