Faculty Senate Minutes
November 1, 2012
Call to Order: Chair Chatham called the meeting to order at 4:12 pm; 301 ADUC
Senators Absent: Lori Baruth, Donna Everett, John Hennen, Julia Hypes, Barbara Lyons, Jeanne Petsch, Manuel Probst, Gilbert Remillard, Scott Wymer, Itza Zavala-Garrett
Visitors: Dr. Michael Henson, Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School; Aaron Gay, Chair Staff Congress; Eli Mann and Clay Stamm from Delta Tau Alpha; Dr. Masahito Sugihara attended for Senator Brian Mason
Minutes: Senator Fultz moved to approve the minutes of October 18, 2012 as submitted. Senator McCormick seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Open Chair Segment: Mr. Eli Mann and Mr. Clay Stamm who are Agriculture Ambassadors and Agricultural majors representing Delta Tau Alpha (Agricultural Honors Fraternity) presented a report on the Derrickson Agricultural Complex and the programs affiliated with it. Agriculture Ambassadors are students who perform community service and give presentations to promote the farm and the Agricultural/Equine Programs at MSU. Both of these young men live at the Complex.
Chair’s Report: Chair Chatham informed the Senators that the MSU Retention Profile Report 2010 to the Present is posted for review on the President’s Leadership Council webpage. A more in-depth report will be forthcoming.
Provost’s Report: Dr. Michael Henson attended the Senate meeting for the Provost. Senator Rathbun asked Dr. Henson if he would inquire of the Provost about the dissemination of the “Are We Making Progress Survey” results report.
Regent’s Report: Regent Morrison will attend the BOR Audit Meeting at 8:00 a.m. on November 15, 2012, in the Riggle Room of ADUC. The BOR Work Session will follow at 9:00 a.m. Some of the agenda items are:
• Update on Strategic Enrollment Plan – Jeffrey Liles
• Report on Draft Technology Master Plan – Michael Walters
• Comprehensive Report on Employee Benefits – Phil Gnoit
Regent Morrison suggested that the Chair and another member of the EC attend this work session.
There will be a retirement recognition for Mike Walters at 1:00 p.m. the same day as the BOR Work Session.
The Quarterly BOR Meeting will be on December 6, 2012.
Senator Lennex provided a synopsis of the call for volunteers to pilot a new evaluation instrument in conjunction with either IDEA or the departmentally approved form in the Spring 2013 semester. There was considerable discussion, questions and suggestions about the evaluation pilot. Senator Lennex asked that any Senator having suggestions or ideas regarding the evaluation pilot to please let her know. The Evaluation Committee would like to use Par Test and Par Score for the pilot dissemination. Senator Lennex asked the Senators to inform their constituents to contact Lesia Lennex by December 1 if they would like to volunteer for the pilot.
Senate Committee on Issues:
• SCI received no feedback regarding PG 62 Weapons Policy from Senators or other faculty so the policy will be sent to the next level.
• Senator Rathbun met with the President, Provost, Mike Walters and SC Chair Gay about the Ombuds. There was a question from the President as to where this initiative is coming from and why do we need this? Senator Rathbun noted that the need for an Ombuds position came from the last “Are We Making Progress” report. Regent Morrison and Senator Rathbun both asked where the results were from the most recent “Are We Making Progress” report.
• There was also some discussion and confusion about a “Campus Climate Survey” that may have been completed a couple of years ago, with a survey about to be distributed by the President’s Diversity Committee.
• SCI will have a follow up meeting with Mr. Steve Richmond on the questions raised during his IT discussion at the last Senate meeting.
Academic Issues: No Report
Next meeting, November 15, 2012, is scheduled for Breckinridge room 302, however Senators were asked to watch their emails for changes as the renovation of the Riggle Room may be completed by then and the meeting can be moved back to the Riggle Room.
The Library will host a book signing for Dr. Bernadette Barton for her new book Pray the Gay Away: The Extraordinary Lives of Bible Belt Gays on November 13 at 3:00 p.m. in the Library Commons.
Senator McCormick announced that a chapter of the American Association of University Women is being formed. More information will follow.
A Senator asked about the progress of the Faculty Salary Study. Chair Chatham reported that the President will be holding open forums this month to discuss faculty salary.
A Senator asked Regent Morrison if there will be any discussion with the BOR regarding increases for employees. Regent Morrison said it is not on the agenda, but he will ask.
A Senator asked Regent Morrison to ask a question of the BOR about the “priority of instruction in the overall budget of this University”.
Adjournment: 5:15 p.m.