Faculty Senate Minutes
March 15, 2012
Call to Order: Vice Chair Chatham called the meeting to order at 4:12 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC
Senators Absent: Ali Ahmadi, Ray Bailey, Lori Baruth, Katy Carlson, Vincent Cesaro, Julia Hypes, Gary LaFleur, Barbara Lyons, Beverly McCormick, Shondrah Nash, Ann Rathbun, Kimberlee Sharp
Vice Chair Chatham welcomed Carole Olson, proxy for Cynthia Faulkner and Steve Middleton, proxy for Gary LaFleur.
Minutes: Senator Wymer moved to approve the minutes of March 1, 2012 as submitted. Senator Bessette seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Academic Issues: No Report
Evaluation: Provided revised Student Course Evaluation Instrument and asked faculty for feedback prior to 2nd reading at the next Senate meeting
Faculty Welfare and Concerns: PAc 27 continued
Governance: Governance committee is in process of assigning committee members for next year
Senate Committee on Issues: No Report
Chair’s Report: Vice-Chair Chatham conducted the meeting in the absence of Chair Sharp
• He provided report on Executive Council’s meeting with Drew Henderson regarding IT maintenance downtime scheduled for 6-8 am on the first Friday of each month
• President’s Leadership Council met on March 14th; discussed the budget, HB 260 compromise and the new Community Service Leave Policy
• After careful consideration by the Executive Council, on behalf of the Council and the full Senate Membership, Chair Sharp is donating $100 of the Faculty Senate Budget to the MSU Cares Community Outreach Fund. “The Executive Council urges and challenges other bodies and individuals to make similar contributions.”
• MSU Cares Volunteer Cards were distributed to the Senators
Provost’s Report: No Report
• Name of Space Science Center will be changed to Smith-Booth Hall
• Regents awarded faculty tenure and faculty sabbaticals
• Regent Morrison read a statement he presented to the BOR regarding a quarterly personnel action (equity increase for a senior administrator)
• Reported on a piece of property the University is looking to acquire
• Provided preliminary spring enrollment report
• Asking for feedback on the revised Student Course Evaluation Instrument prior to 2nd reading at the next Senate meeting
• A Senator provided Senator Nabb with copies of comments made by their constituents
Faculty Welfare and Concerns:
Senator Remillard, representing Faculty Welfare and Concerns, continued the second reading of PAc 27.
• Senator McMichael made friendly amendment to delete “as called on by the Provost.” in Line 30 and add “as convened according to Section 9.6”. FWC accepted the friendly amendment.
• Senator Rogers talked about how the Tenure Committees are constituted
• There was continued discussion about having two or three levels of Tenure committees
• Senator Wymer made a friendly amendment to clarify Line 234. The revision is “The Department Tenure Committee may request from the candidate, revisions, additional information, and documentation not provided in the portfolio. If so directed, the candidate will have the opportunity to realign the organization of contents of his/her portfolio.”
• Senator Applegate made a friendly amendment to delete “as called on by the Provost” and “as convened according to Section 9.6’’ in Line 30. FWC did not accept the amendment.
• Senator Applegate made a motion to delete “as called on by the Provost” and “as convened according to Section 9.6” in Line 30. Senator Royar seconded. Discussion followed. Senator Wymer moved to end debate on the motion. Senator Berglee seconded. Motion approved to end debate.
• Vice-Chair Chatham called for a vote on the amendment to delete “as called on by the Provost” and “as convened according to Section 9.6” in Line 30. The amendment passed by a show of hands; 22 for and 7 against.
• Senator Wymer asked for clarification that the language in 234 -237 should also be in Line 169. This was accepted.
• Senator Davidson moved to return to language saying “that if you serve on the University or College Committee, you cannot serve at the department level.” Senator Gibbs seconded the motion. Vice-Chair Chatham asked for clarification of where the language is to be made. Senator Davison indicated that it is at Line 326. The motion is to delete Section 10.5 and replace with “No faculty member may serve at the department level and at either the college or university level during an academic year.” and “No faculty member may serve on both the college and university level during an academic year.”
It was noted that time was almost over. Senator Berglee moved to suspend the rules to allow at least 10 additional minutes to complete this motion. Motion seconded. Motion passed.
Vice Chair Chatham called for a vote on the amendment to: delete Section 10.5 and replace with “No faculty member may serve at the department level and at either the college or university level during an academic year.” and “No faculty member may serve on both the college and university level during an academic year.” Amendment passed.
Adjournment: 6:10 p.m.