Faculty Senate Minutes
February 2, 2012
Call to Order: Chair Sharp called the meeting to order at 4:10 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC
Chair Sharp welcomed Bill Mann substituting today for Lori Baruth; Shondrah Nash who replaced Rebecca Katz who resigned; Yuqiu You replacing Rod Stanley who retired from the University.
Senators Absent: Michael Dobranski, Donna Everett, Gary LaFleur, Lisa McDavid, Joyce Stubbs, Craig Tuerk
Minutes: Senator Carlson moved to approve the minutes of January 19, 2012 as submitted. Senator Chatham seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Academic Issues: Looked at retention and how faculty can help; Has been asked to review how Gen Ed assessment is conducted and asked that anyone having problems/suggestions please send them to the AI committee.
Evaluation: Developing a course evaluation tool that could be an alternative to IDEA
Faculty Welfare and Concerns: PAc 27 second reading
Governance: Will have a Standing Committee replacement for vote
Senate Committee on Issues: Should have an ombudsman proposal by March 1
• Reported on the meeting with the Faculty Salary Model Work Group and explained the model being used
• Attended meeting with Chief Diversity Officer regarding a Campus Climate Survey. Suggested that Mr. Holloway consult with the University standing committee, “Campus Environment Team/Affirmative Action”.
• PAc 29 is almost finished in the PAc Reconciliation Committee
• EC met with the Berry Dunn IT Consultants in a focus group
• Reported on the TEC meeting from Wednesday regarding field experience hours for Education majors
Open Chair Segment:
Senator Brent Rogers provided his thoughts and concerns regarding re-establishing the College Tenure Committee in PAc 27. Dr. Rogers reminded the senate that this discussion and argument was reflective of similar discussions in years past that eliminated the college-level committee. He expressed concern that the University appeared to be returning to a policy from the past that was deemed by a previous faculty senate to be unnecessary. He supported the continuation of keeping the university level tenure committee and not to re-establish the college level tenure committee.
• Reported that President Andrews is very willing to address the Senate body regarding the University of Pikeville issue. Chair Sharp will invite the President to an upcoming meeting.
• Hiring freeze on all positions except those on restricted grant money. Vice Presidents are allowed to make a case for certain positions. Working on plans for budget reduction. Vice Presidents have been asked to review their budgets in order to make adjustments. The organizational structure of Academic Affairs is being assessed.
A question and answer time followed. Some of the topics were:
• summer credit hours and program productivity for the year: The Provost indicated that the process for including summer school hours, among other things, is being reviewed
• how are first-year seminars being accounted for
• Dr. Michael Hensen has accepted the position in Research and Graduate Programs and will be charged to take on the issue of how to evaluate scholarship in relation to the APNA process.
• FTEs in first-year seminars
How off campus centers being affected by the budget
In response to a question in a previous meeting, IPads bought with first year seminar incentive pay funds belong to the University if the faculty member leaves the University.
• Attended focus group with Berry Dunn Consultants and was proud of how faculty are committed to work to solve technology problems
• Discussed the University of Pikeville situation-encouraged citizens of the Commonwealth to voice their concerns
• Commended President Andrews for his work on managing the budget during very difficult times
• BOR retreat next Thursday
• BOR work session February 16, 2012
General Education Report: First Gen Ed meeting will be February 10th at 2:00 pm
Governance: The Governance committee recommended Donna Everett fill the vacancy on the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee by the resignation of Tim Hare from the committee. Recommendation passed.
Faculty Welfare and Concerns: Senator Rathbun presented PAc 27 for a second reading. Chair Sharp thanked Senator Rathbun for her leadership regarding the revisions to the PAcs.
Senator Rathbun asked the Provost if there is a policy defining when the Provost would convene the University Tenure Committee and is the policy public knowledge. This question was in regard to the following paragraph - “The Provost may convene the University Tenure Committee within five working days of receiving the College Dean’s evaluation to provide an additional assessment/evaluation of the tenure candidate’s portfolio.” The Provost provided clarification for this paragraph. Senator Berglee made a motion that a change to the paragraph be made based on the Provost’s clarification.
On behalf of the FWC Senator Rathbun made friendly amendments to align language in PAc 27 with language in PAc 7 changing “Faculty 180” to “The approved faculty credentials database” and 2) Change Line 29 “The tenure process will consist of review and judgment by the department tenure committee, the department chair/associate dean, the college tenure committee, the Provost, and the university tenure committee when called by the Provost.” There was discussion that this paragraph conflicts with paragraph 5 of section 9. This will be clarified at the next meeting by Senator Rathbun in consultation with Dr. DeMoss.
There was considerable discussion about the use of College and University committees.
Senator Riegle made a friendly amendment to insert the following line: “The non-tenured candidate has the right to appeal for University Committee review within 14 days after receipt of the Provost’s written justification for the recommendation.” There was confusion regarding the correct location of this friendly amendment. Senator Riegle accepted the revisions to her friendly amendment as seen on the screen, but this will be clarified at the next meeting.
Regent Morrison alerted Senators to an issue related to the word “appeal” vs. “rebuttal”.
Senator Rogers called the question to end debate and vote on the document. Chair Sharp ask for the vote. The vote to call the question on the document failed.
Senator Berglee stated that there are approximate 4 minutes remaining in the Senate meeting.
Senator Watkins made a friendly amendment to delete the paragraph “Candidates for tenure are expected to produce and maintain in their possession a duplicate copy of the tenure portfolio and supporting documents as a reference document until the tenure process has been completed and a decision for tenure or non-tenure has been made by the Board of Regents.” Discussion of this friendly amendment followed and will continue at the next meeting.
Senator Hypes made a motion to table discussion of PAc 27 until the next meeting. Motion passed.
Adjournment: 6:10 p.m.