Faculty Senate Minutes
January 20, 2011
Call to Order: Chair McCormick called the meeting to order at 4:15 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC.
Senators Absent: Ray Bailey, J. T. Blackledge, Vincent Cesaro, Sarah Hawkins, Gary LaFleur, Barbara Lyons, Randy McCoy, Biswajit Panja, Steven Snyder, Denise Watkins, Sam Wright
Visitors: Dr. Karla Hughes, Dr. Charlie Patrick, Lisa Shemwell
Minutes: The minutes of December 2, 2010 were approved as submitted.
Academic Issues: Website will be set up for feedback regarding Moodle, encouraged feedback
Evaluation: No report
Faculty Welfare and Concerns: Postponing second reading of PAc’s
Governance: Will conduct election for member for Executive Council
Senate Committee on Issues: No Report
· Asked Senators to inform their constituents about the Open Forum Segment of Faculty Senate
· Resolution 2.19, Student Disciplinary Committee Description, has been approved by the President and Provost
· Reminded Senators of the Senate Attendance Policy – Faculty Senate Constitution “Section 5. Senators missing three consecutive or a total of five regular Faculty Senate meetings during the academic year are subject to removal from the Faculty Senate, pending action of the Executive Council.” Email notifications of absence (illness, conference attendance etc.) should be sent to the Chair and copied to the Senate Secretary, Janet Skidmore, (j.skidmore).
Senator Verdie Craig resigned from the Faculty Senate due to other commitments. The nominations must be from the College of Science and Technology. The replacement will serve as chair of the Faculty Welfare and Concerns Committee. The Governance Committee conducted a nomination and election to fill the position. Senator Berglee nominated Senator Michael Fultz. Senator Lange nominated Senator Gilbert Remillard. Senator Remillard declined the nomination due to other commitments. Senator Rogers moved that nominations cease. Motion passed. Senator Michael Fultz was unanimously approved.
On behalf of the entire Senate, Senator John Hennen and Chair McCormick acknowledged and thanked Dr. Verdie Craig for her leadership, skill and distinguished service to the Faculty Welfare and Concerns Committee and the Faculty Senate.
· Enrollment is up about 200 students compared to this time last year
· Lisa Shemwell is the Principal Investigator on the Senate Bill 1 Grant; first event was held last week; there is a website for information regarding Senate Bill 1
· A Rowan County student in a dual enrollment class with the University identified a pulsar that had not been identified before
· Charlie Patrick reported that during the fall semester, 48 sections of the First Year Seminar were held with 1186 students; Spring semester 10 sections with 243 students enrolled; General Education Council will be accepting new First Year Seminar Proposals for a short period of time
· The QEP report is available on the SACS website; QEP lead evaluator is Dr. Tara Newman from Texas
· The University met six of their eight goals in diversity and are approved to submit new academic degree programs for review
Question and answer session followed.
Regent’s Report: The Board of Regents met on December 9, 2010; Regent Morrison commended MSU Art Professor Gary Mesa-Gaido for his excellent presentation to the BOR members regarding his sabbatical and the importance of how the sabbatical opportunity benefits MSU faculty. Regent Morrison stressed to the Board the importance of continuing to look at faculty salaries. Regent Morrison also expressed his concern regarding the communication of important changes that have occurred on campus this past semester. He encouraged an increase in communication across campus.
Senator Julia Hypes presented a short video presentation regarding Blackboard version 9. Faculty can contact Misty Hanks for a guest account into Blackboard 9 to review it. Discussion and questions about Blackboard and MoodleRooms followed. All faculty members are encouraged to provide their feedback to assist the University in making the decision between the two. Feedback can be sent to Misty Hanks, David Flora or Dr. Charlie Patrick. A webpage will be created to provide feedback on MoodleRooms and Blackboard.
Faculty Welfare and Concerns:
PAc 7 (FEPs), PAc 29 (Faculty Workload), and PAc 27 (Tenure Review) are scheduled to be presented for second reading at the next Senate meeting on February 3, 2011.
Adjournment: 5:20 pm