Faculty Senate Minutes
April 15, 2010
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:12 pm, Riggle Room, ADUC
Senators Absent: Latonya Hesterberg, Terry Irons, Euijin Kim, Gary LaFleur, Steven Parkansky
Minutes: The minutes of April 1, 2010 were approved as submitted.
Academic Policies: No Report
Communications: No Report
Evaluation: No Report
Fiscal Affairs: Will present a resolution on domestic partner benefits for first reading
Governance: Will provide update on Constitution, Proposal to change General Education Council Description, Appointments to Standing Committees for approval
Professional Policies: No Report
Provost’s Report: Two white papers have been received for QEP. The white papers will be on-line and Dr. Patrick asked for faculty feedback.
• BOR Work Session – May 20, 2010, Heritage Room, 9 a.m.
• BOR Meeting – June 10, 2010
• General Education Council - Faculty Information Sessions:
Proposing Courses for Distributional Requirements
o Tuesday, 20 April 2010, 1:50 - 4:00 p.m., ADUC 312.
o Future Sessions will be held on Thursday, 9 June 2010, and Thursday, 19 August 2010; details t.b.a.
Workshops for First Year Seminar Faculty
o Wednesday, 28 April 2010, 1:00 - 5:00 p.m., ADUC 312
o Wednesday, 12 May 2010, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, ADUC 312
General Education Council planning Special Events and Speakers
The members discussed various changes to General Education. Chair Berglee encouraged the members to contact the General Education Council with concerns, questions and suggestions.
• Green Committee Report: Senator Rathbun presented a report on the actions of the Green Committee:
o Established three subcommittees – Energy Conservation, PR and Media Work, and Events
o Part of the money donated by the Senate went to continuing education for members to attend a sustainability conference to learn more about Green issues
o Met with President Andrews regarding creating a line item in the budget for the Green Committee
o President signed a Green Proclamation
o Collaborating with Rowan County Schools and the Student Environmental Club
o Thanked Faculty Senate and Staff Congress for their contributions to the Green Committee, most of which will carry forward to next year
o Web Page is www2.moreheadstate.edu/green
• The report from the Bookstore Committee was forwarded to the members via email. Issues/ideas concerning the bookstore should be addressed to Senate Baker, Chair of the Bookstore Committee.
• Presented a resolution proposing to change the description of the General Education Council for a first reading.
• Presented a slate of nominees for appointments to some of the Standing Committees. Senator Macintosh moved to consider all nominees as a slate. Senator Chapman seconded the motion. Motion passed. An editorial correction was made to Professional Development – Doug Chatham term should be 2010-12; and to Intercollegiate Athletics – Tim Simpson should be Education. Chair Berglee called for a vote on the slate of nominees. The slate of nominees was approved by the Senate with the editorial corrections.
• Voting on the Constitution will close April 23, 2010.
• Presented a resolution on Domestic Partner Benefits for a first reading. Fiscal Affairs provided clarification for some questions about the resolution. Some of the wording of the resolution was not clarified and Fiscal Affairs asked for suggestions from the Senators. After discussion, Senator Gibbs moved to suspend the rules to go to the second reading of the resolution. Senator Rathbun seconded the motion. Motion failed due to a lack of two-thirds majority voting in favor.
Announcement: The regular Senator meeting will be held on May 6, 2010.
Adjournment: 5:22 p.m.