Faculty Senate Minutes
December 3, 2009
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:12 pm, Riggle Room, ADUC
Senators Absent: Ali Ahmadi, J.T. Blackledge, Sarah Hawkins, Beverly Klecker, Gary LaFleur, Stephen Lange, Barbara Lyons, Rebecca Miculinich, Emma Perkins, Brent Rogers, Rodney Stanley, Yuqiu You
Visitors: Eric Jerde
Minutes: The minutes of November 19, 2009 were approved as submitted.
Academic Policies: KRS164 legislation
Communications: No Report
Evaluation: No Report
Fiscal Affairs: Will present a Resolution on Administrative Collaboration for second reading
Governance: No Report
Professional Policies: No report
Eric Jerde presented a report from the Center for Leadership and Professional Development (CLPD). A Faculty Learning Community will be established by the CLPD. The following five focus topics have been determined:
1. Internationalizing the curriculum
2. Teaching interdisciplinary courses
3. Integration of diversity and global perspectives
4. Community Engagement
The CLPD is looking for volunteers to serve as Faculty Associates.
· Dr. Seelig working with the General Education Council to develop the process for review of curriculum for programs going to 120 hours; Deans and Chairs are also working on this
· KRS 164 - The Provost provided the members with information regarding an action plan for Kentucky transfers that has been developed by a committee of which she is a member.
· The Board of Regents approved Cathy Thomas as Interim Director of General Education and Lisa Shemwell as Interim Director of Developmental Education.
Chair Berglee asked how the change in General Education would affect the membership of the General Education Council.
The Provost and the members discussed other issues such as; 1) securing permanence in the various interim chair/dean positions on campus, 2) faculty evaluation process for tenured faculty in the spring, 3) flexible work loads.
· Board of Regents approved an Ed.D in Educational Leadership, which must be approved by the CPE
· Provost provided a report on University retention
· The University hired Mr. Raymond McLain as the Director of the Kentucky Center for Traditional Music. The Board of Regents granted administrator tenure with rank of Associate Professor for Mr. McLain.
There was lengthy discussion regarding the University Tenure Process. Chair Berglee will continue the tenure process discussion with the appropriate people.
General Education Report:
· Type II proposal for First Year Seminar has been approved, as well as some faculty proposals
Constitution Committee Report:
· Constitution Committee has completed their review of the Senate Constitution and is reviewing the revised document to present to the Senate members after January 1, 2010. The Senate appreciates the work of the Constitution committee.
· Chair Berglee thanked the Senate members for their work this semester.
· The Fiscal Affairs committee brought forth a Resolution “that the Morehead State University Faculty Senate welcomes the commitment to shared governance expressed by the President, and is committed to active, timely, and substantial involvement in the decision-making process” for a second reading. There was considerable discussion regarding the resolution.
After discussion, Senator McCormick moved that the Senate Chair meet with the President regarding the resolution, if it is approved. Senator Hennen seconded the motion. Senator Abell made a friendly amendment to have the Executive Council meet with the President regarding the resolution, if it is approved. The friendly amendment was accepted. Motion passed.
Discussion continued on the resolution. Senator Remillard suggested that that the Senate draft ideas that actually show collaboration such as requesting that the Senate appoint a faculty member to any task force that deals with faculty issues. After discussion, Chair Berglee called for a vote on the resolution. Resolution failed by a show of hands: 16 against, 15 in favor. Senator Craig encouraged the members to have discussions about how to promote better collaboration.
Adjournment: 6:00 pm