Faculty Senate Minutes
November 5, 2009
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:12 pm, Riggle Room, ADUC
Senators Absent: Teresa Ferguson, Cyndi Gibbs, Julia Hypes, Stephanie Johnson, Beverly Klecker, Beverly McCormick, Rebecca Miculinich, Nathan Nab, Yuqiu You
Visitors: Yvonne Baldwin, Charles Patrick, Phil Gniot, Suzanne Hogge
Minutes: The minutes of October 15, 2009 were approved as submitted.
Academic Policies: Will submit a proposal for General Education requirements for Associate Degree Programs for a first reading
Communications: No report
Evaluation: No Report
Fiscal Affairs: No report
Governance: Reworking committee descriptions and filling positions on University Standing Committees; Will submit Professional Development Committee revision; TEC Committee Description for a first reading
Professional Policies: No report
· Phil Gniot and Suzanne Hogge presented information on Health Care for 2010.
· Charles Patrick provided a survey for the Senators to complete regarding computer competency levels for students.
· Six proposals were received for QEP and are available for review and comment at http://www2.moreheadstate.edu/qep/
· The Governance committee reviewed revisions to the Teacher Education Council (TEC) committee description and brought it to the Senate as revised by the TEC for a first reading. A motion was made and seconded to suspend the rules and move to a second reading. The Chair asked if there were any questions. A member stated that the revisions were not evident in the document. Senator Irons moved that the TEC provide the Senate with a legislative markup copy. Motion was seconded. Motion passed. The Governance Committee will request the document in legislative markup format from the TEC.
· Layne Neeper, Current Distinguished Teacher, resigned from the Professional Development Committee due to his new position as Interim Chair. Sylvia Hennenberg, the most recent Distinguished Teacher prior to Dr. Neeper that is available, will serve on the Professional Development Committee.
· There is no longer a Director of the Center for Critical Thinking. This ex-officio position title on the Professional Development Committee was changed to Director, Professional Development.
· Senator Irons presented a Proposal from the Academic Policies Committee regarding general education requirements for Associate Degree Programs for a first reading.
Senator Chatham moved to suspend the rules to meet past six o’clock in order to hear a report from Dr. Yvonne Baldwin regarding General Education. Motion was seconded. Motion passed.
· A First-Year Seminar Subcommittee was created by the General Education Council. The subcommittee will make recommendations to the Council and create a proposal for First-Year Seminar. A question and answer session followed.
· Board of Regents work session on November 19, 2009 has been changed to a special closed session meeting to meet with Dr. John Moore regarding the President’s evaluation.
· Senate photos will be taken at the November 19th meeting.
Adjournment: 6:25 pm