Faculty Senate Minutes
October 18, 2001
Call to order: 4:10 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC.
Senators absent: Michael Biel, Ric Caric, Dale Dickson, David Eisenhour, Tom Kmetz, James Knoll, Deborah Plum, and Phil Prater.
Minutes: Minutes of October 4, 2001, were approved as corrected.
Pac-34: Alternative Career-Track Faculty was presented for a second reading. The following motions were presented:
1. Albert 1: Line 59/60 - Delete the sentence “An earned doctorate or equivalent experience in the field or related field is preferred for teaching upper-level courses.” Motion failed.
2. Keyes friendly amendment to Albert 2 to insert ‘who has previously served or is serving’ was accepted.
3. Albert 2: Line 75-77 - Delete the beginning of the sentence through the word ‘eligible...’ and replace with ‘any facyulty serving as a fixed-term instructor at the time of adoption of this policy is eligible...’ [‘for application and appointment, upon approval, to the positions.’] Motion passed.
4. Albert 3: Line 78 - Delete the clause ‘or vice versa’. Withdrawn.
5. Yess friendly amendment to Foley 2 to remove vice versa. Not accepted.
6. Foley 2: Move the sentence beginning ‘After initial appointments,...’ Motion passed.
7. Albert 3: Line 78 - Delete the clause ‘or vice versa’. Motion failed.
8. Saxon 1: Delete in line 121 in [6.0] [line 119 in 6.1] the sentence ‘Instructors with more than three years of service are entitled to a 12-month notification of non-renewal’. Motion failed.
9. Saxon 2: Remove the following from line 37 [6.1 version]. ‘Qualified instructors may apply for tenure-track positions as they occur and may request to apply years of service toward tenure. Withdrawn.
10. Saxon 3: Remove the following from line 91 [version 6.1]: An instructor who has worked at the University for five  full, consecutive academic years in the same department may be eligible for renewable multiyear [2 year] terms, provided the instructor fulfills the expectations of annual review. Motion failed.
11. Saxon 2: Remove the following from line 37 [6.1 version]. ‘Qualified instructors may apply for tenure-track positions as they occur and may request to apply years of service toward tenure. Motion failed.
12. Hunt friendly amendment to Lennex 1: add ‘appropriate accrediting agencies’. Accepted.
13. Creahan friendly amendment to Lennex 1: ‘change number to percentage’. Accepted.
14. Cain friendly amendment to Lennex 1: ‘add discipline specific accrediting’ between appropriate and agencies’. Accepted.
15. Morgan friendly amendment to Lennex 1: ‘take out Standing I’. Accepted.
16. Lennex 1: Delete in line 49-50 in [6.0] [linme 49 in 6.1] the rest of the sentence after ‘...appointments...’ and replace with ‘should not exceed a reasonable percent of the total Standing I faculty’. Accepted.
17. Dickson/Morgan 1: Fowley moved to take out top paragraph. Accepted.
18. Dickson/Morgan 1: Under Positions: Paragraph 1: The initial re-classification of positions known heretofore as ‘fixed-term’ to instructor shall be made with advance approval of a simple majority of the current tenured and tenure-track faculty within the department, the department chair, the college dean, and the Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs. Paragraph 2: Creation of instructor positions, either by creation of new positions or by conversion of tenure-track position to instructor, shall require the approval of a simple majority of the current tenure-track faculty within the department, the department chair, the college dean, and the Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs. Paragraph 3: When conditions prohibit consultation of department faculty, the department chair, the dean of the college, and the Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs may create a new instructor position or re-classify a vacant or vacated tenure-track position as an instructor position. Continuation of the position beyond one year is contingent upon approval by a simply majority of the current tenured and tenure-track faculty. Motion passed.
Senator Rogers moved to extend the length of the meeting until Pac-34 was completed. Motion seconded. Failed.
Adjournment: 5:57 pm