Faculty Senate Minutes
September 18, 2008
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:15 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC.
Senators Absent: Teresa Ferguson, Euijin Kim, Barbara Lyons, Beverly McCormick, Michelle Walters
Visitors: Annie Adams, Interim Vice Chair FGEAC, Tim Simpson, Interim Chair FGEAC, Lisa Shemwell
Minutes: The minutes of September 4, 2008 were approved as submitted and the minutes of August 28, 2008 were approved as revised.
Academic Policies: Met with Yvonne Baldwin regarding General Education Reform; Will be looking into the $50 drop/add fee with respect to the per credit hour tuition model – will get data on the effect of the $50 fee vs. the $10 fee and how the per credit hour tuition model has affected students
Communications: Will survey faculty for an effective means of communication; Faculty list-serve is available now – email will be sent regarding this; Will be sending emails with important topics from the Senate meetings to help Senators distribute information to other faculty
Evaluation: No report
Governance: Will present committee assignments to be voted on today
Professional Policies: Reviewing PAc-6
Fiscal Affairs: Will be reviewing the Health Care Plan; The chair met with Employee Benefits Committee regarding Health Care; Will invite Beth Patrick to speak to committee on faculty compensation
- Chair Thomas met with Dr. Andrews regarding the Strategic Plan. The Aspire Goals will be revised this year. Dr. Andrews is asking the Senate to help revise the strategies and determine how the University can accomplish those strategies in light of the state of the budget in Kentucky. Chair Thomas asked the members to talk to their colleagues for suggestions about how to reform these goals in light of budget concerns. President Andrews and Vice President Patrick will speak to the Senate as the goals are being revised.
- The Chair ask the FGEAC and the GESC to provide regular reports to the Senate in order that Senate members can report to their colleagues. The Chair asked the members to become familiar with the Gen Ed Web Site and participate in discussions regarding Gen Ed Reform.
Tim Simpson provided information on what has been completed and is currently happening with Gen Ed Reform.
- FGEAC was asked to create a Gen Ed Framework
- Created subcommittees; Outcomes, Assessment, Subcommittee to look at other institutions to see what they do
- Went to conference where they learned that their timeline was too short and did not involve faculty
- Revised the timeline adding department visits – posted on the Gen Ed Web Site
- Created draft of learner outcomes
- Analyzed problems with the current Gen Ed Program
- Created FGEAC Report – Assessment of the Current General Education Program in May 2008
- Prepared “General Education Reform Frequently Asked Questions” and “Models for Consideration” to be shared with the departments
- Currently meeting with departments - asking for feedback
- Created organizational flowchart
- Providing a feedback form for faculty in the department meetings and on the Web Site
Annie Adams presented information on future plans for Gen Ed.
- Speaker will be coming to campus to speak about Gen Ed Reform in October
- Subcommittees formed to work this semester (Anyone who wants to serve is welcome)
- Course Framework Subcommittee
- Assessment Subcommittee
- Feedback Form Subcommittee
- First Year Programs Subcommittee
- Ratification Subcommittee
- Provost assured that faculty are in charge of curriculum
- Incremental model (multiple votes)
- One suggestion is to vote in each department and that vote will be carried to the FGEAC by that department’s FGEAC member
- FGEAC is advisory to four bodies including the Senate - will follow recommendations from the Senate
There was discussion regarding a vote by the Senate and a vote by faculty of the final plan for Gen Ed.
A member asked about the mechanisms for feedback. Annie Adams said that feedback forms will be provided at the department meetings and on the Web Site. The mechanism for feedback on the voting process has not been developed. Email Tim or Annie if you have questions or need clarification. A member suggested that the members of FGEAC meet with their departments frequently. A member asked if there are plans for the faculty to approve the ratification process. Annie Adams said that plan has not been developed and if anyone has suggestions to please let the ratification subcommittee know.
Chair Thomas suggested that the Senate members urge their department chairs to have the FGEAC representative report at department meetings.
- Thanked the FGEAC for their hard work.
- The Provost encouraged student learner outcome targets to be set for student success. It is ok to set targets that may be difficult to reach or may not be reached the first or second time; it is important to look at learner outcomes and student success.
- The University will be open during Fall Break. The Provost is concerned that students have timely and appropriate feedback regarding their progress at midterm.
- The Provost stated that her office did not receive the resolution by the Senate regarding Fall Break.
A member suggested that the Provost’s office discuss with the chairs the need to refrain from holding meetings during Fall Break in order for faculty to work on grading. The Provost is willing to have that discussion with the chairs and will also be meeting with the Registrar to determine if the faculty are following through with providing students mid-term grade reports. A member asked if not all faculty submit mid-term grades for students. The Provost said that the percentage that submit mid-tem grades is well below half.
- Provost is scheduling meetings with the departments for this semester. The Provost plans to have a conversation with the departments about what she can do to remove barriers to the departments. The audit report can also be discussed if necessary.
- The Provost assured the members that the feedback supplied by the faculty regarding the audit report will be considered. If there are major revisions there should be alternatives and rationale for making revisions.
A member expressed concern that the feedback is going back through the same channels as the original information and might not reach the Provost. The Provost said the faculty can email her with good suggestions and rationale, but would appreciate not getting emails that are just venting.
There was discussion by the members that the outcomes in the Audit Report are not connected to the proposals submitted.
A member asked for clarification regarding the possibility of having things changed and the status of the IRAPP program. The Provost said the University has funding for a Program of Distinction. The law does not dictate which program should be the Program of Distinction. “The recommendation to fold IRAPP under the College of Business and Public Affairs was a proposal that was made by both the College of Business and IRAPP.” “The first audit report is a transition to redefine what IRAPP is and to evaluate the status of the Program of Distinction.” The Provost said the way the funding is set up cannot be changed, but the program can be changed.
- A Regents Forum is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, October 16, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Commonwealth Room, ADUC
- BOR met on September 11, 2008
- Regent Morrison provided the members with a Preliminary Report on 2008 Fall Enrollment
- Regent Morrison provided the members with a copy of “President Andrew’s Goals for 2008-2009” (Extracted from “Performance Appraisal: President” Document Presented to the BOR 9/11/08). He asked the members to provide feedback to him regarding the goals.
- Regent Morrison plans to be as transparent with information as the process will allow
- The BOR provided tenure to a special status associate professor. Regent Morrison provided information on the background for the approval of tenure for this special status associate professor. Regent Morrison recommended that Professional Policies review PAc-2 and PAc-27 regarding special status faculty.
- The committee is in the process of rewriting their charge which will be brought before the Senate.
- The committee recommended the following slate of candidates for membership for University Standing Committees:
- Research and Creative Productions Committee – Donna Kizzier, Karen Lafferty
- Student Disciplinary Committee – Lindsey Godwin, Amy Brown
- Student Life Committee – Kimberlee Sharp
- Planning Committee (election by College of S&T to be held) – Diana King vs Xianlong Li
- Student Media Board Committee (Faculty Senate representative) – Layne Neeper
- Student Media Board Committee – (three names to be sent to the President for appointment) – Jason Applegate, Lola Aagaard, John T. Blackledge
- Academic Program Review Committee – Ken Henderson
- International Education Advisory Committee – Rebecca Katz
- Intercollegiate Athletics Committee – Sam Nataraj, Stacy Baker
- Graduate Committee (elected by College Graduate Faculty) – Julia Hypes, Jennifer Dearden, Ahmad Hassan, Layne Neeper, Michael Fultz, Gilbert Remillard (At the October 2nd meeting a Senator objected to two faculty from the same department [HPES] being elected to the Graduate Committee. The chair referred the membership back to the Governance Committee for correction.)
A process for revising the membership of University Standing Committees and the descriptions will have to be developed to accommodate the reorganization from the Audit.
Chair Thomas asked Charlie Patrick to present a report on Weave at the next Senate meeting.
Adjournment: 6:00 pm