Faculty Senate Minutes
November 1, 2007
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:15 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC.
Senators Absent: Marcia Cooper, Layne Neeper, David Smith, John Warber
Minutes: Senator Chatham moved to delete the sentence “The meeting will end at 6:00 p.m.” from the ninth paragraph on Page 4 of the minutes. Motion passed. Senator Breschel moved to approve the minutes of October 18, 2007, as amended. Motion passed.
Academic Policies: The committee has been divided into two subcommittees. One subcommittee is reviewing the Academic Advising Policy and will report at the next meeting. The second subcommittee is reviewing the Laptop Initiative and will work with the CTL to conduct training workshops for faculty. Beth Patrick would like to work with any departments and/or programs interested in being part of the Laptop Initiative.
Communications: No Report
Evaluation: No Report
Fiscal Affairs: Reviewing faculty salaries
Governance: Ballots have been sent out for the revised Faculty Rights and Responsibilities Committee elections; Discussing with the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee changes to their committee description; Will be conducting a replacement election for the Graduate Committee from the College of Business; One appointment to be presented during Committee Reports.
Professional Policies: Continue discussion on PG-61 today; The committee has begun review of PAc 27.
- Chair Jerde stated that the fourteen members have been elected to the General Education Faculty Council. At the conclusion of the elections, the list of members will be posted on the General Education Web page.
The Senators shared concerns that there had been interference in some departments by the chairs regarding the General Education Faculty Council elections. The Provost and the Senators discussed their ideas about the selection process and the resultant membership of the General Education Faculty Council.
- The Provost talked to the members about the need for faculty and administrators to work together in the discussion of how to develop Morehead State University into the best University it can be.
- The Board of Regents will have a work session on Thursday, November 8, 2007. Discussion will include presidential evaluation.
- The committee recommended Teame Ghirmay from the College of Business to fill a vacancy on the Student Disciplinary Board. Recommendation passed.
- The committee presented the revised version of PG-61 – Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct - to the members for discussion and a vote. Hearing no discussion, Chair Jerde called for a vote. The members approved the revised version of PG-61.
- Regent Irons asked the Fiscal Affairs committee to review the development of an Ad- Hoc committee to bring together the various groups working on faculty compensation.
- Maurice Manning will be reading poetry at the Folk Art Center tonight at 7:00 p.m.
Adjournment: 5:10 pm.