Faculty Senate Minutes
February 1, 2007
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:12 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC.
Senators Absent: Pamela Colyer, Lynda Donathan, Terry Irons, Paul Taylor, Scott Wymer
Minutes: Senator Spangler moved to approve the minutes of January 18, 2007, as submitted. Senator Breschel seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- Task Force for Student Success (Reading Day, Finals Week) will meet on February 2, 2007.
- A bill is being drafted by legislators in Frankfort to address concerns regarding Optional Retirement Plans. The chair will provide the members with a web link as soon as the bill is available online.
- As part of the Strategic Enrollment Project, a committee chaired by Yvonne Baldwin is reviewing the broad issue of class scheduling. A survey is being developed for input from faculty regarding scheduling.
An Ad-Hoc committee, chaired by the Provost, is reviewing intercession and summer schedules. This committee will focus on the interest and needs of the students. The two committees are working together to develop a joint survey for students.
- Morehead State University has been invited by the American Association of Colleges and Universities to participate in an institute on general education. A team of five members will attend the institute from May 18th to May 23rd. The Provost requested Faculty Senate identify three faculty from which one will be chosen for the team. The team will consist of:
- One member recommended by the Senate
- One member recommended by the General Education Committee
- A Department Chair recommended by the Chairs Forum
- One member recommended by the President’s Leadership Academy
- One vacant position
Recommendations should be forwarded to the Provost within the next week.
- A Resolution opposing the passage of the Academic Bill of Rights as contained in Kentucky House Bill 158 was presented for a first reading. "Senator Buck stated that House Bill 158 appears to be an attempt by right-wing ideologues lead by David Horowitz to try to interfere with academic freedom. They are making unfounded claims that the poor students are being discriminated against by faculty and that their rights are being denied. This must be absolutely resisted. I am sorry we no longer have a chapter of the AAUP here at Morehead because this calls for an AAUP action." The Provost asked if the House Bill and the Senate Resolution have been or should be discussed with SGA. Senator Schroeder stated that the Academic Policies Committee is open to discussing the issue with SGA. Senator Schroeder asked that amendments/revisions be forwarded to him via email. The resolution will be presented at the next meeting for a vote.
- The committee is in the process of reviewing and revising the Senate Web Site and requested suggestions for improvement from the members.
Evaluation: No Report
Fiscal Affairs: No Report
Governance: No Report
Professional Policies: No Report
- Faculty forums will be held on Tuesday, February 6, 2007, from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. in ADUC 301, and Wednesday, February 7, 2007, from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Eagle Dining Room of ADUC. These forums will be working meetings to develop suggestions and language to incorporate in the various faculty evaluation policies (PAc2, PAc27). Chair Lindell encouraged the Senators to inform their fellow colleagues of the forums.
- MSU Basketball tonight against Eastern Kentucky University.
Adjournment: 4:25 pm.