Faculty Senate Minutes
December 7, 2006
Call to Order:
Call to order: 4:12 pm; Riggle Room; ADUC.
Senators Absent: Pamela Colyer, Cynthia Faulkner, Wayne Isham, Thomas Kiffmeyer, Layne Neeper, Dean Owen, Ronald Spangler, Scott Wymer
Minutes: Senator Colburn moved to approve the minutes of November 16, 2006, as submitted. Senator Harford seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- The President accepted all of the revisions made by the Faculty Senate during the meeting on December 5, 2006.
- The Board of Regents approved PG-18 Intellectual Property Policy at the meeting on December 7, 2006.
- The Board of Regents approved an 8.4% increase in tuition for 2007-2008. The increase for out-of-state students will be approximately 3%.
- The University has been awarded the Carnegie classification of Community Engaged University.
- Regent Irons reported that KTRS has been in negotiation with institutions across the state regarding the ORP situation. KTRS will be visiting various campuses and meeting with faculty. KTRS is recommending a cap on the amount that must be paid annually to KTRS for each person that chooses a retirement option other than KTRS. The cap will be approximately 5%. The requirement for institutions to pay KTRS for persons who choose a retirement option other than KTRS currently ends in 2018. In exchange for the cap the end date for this requirement would be extended to 2048.
- Final enrollment is 9,025.
- Regent Irons will be meeting on December 12, 2006 with Dr. Harrison, head of the search firm that will be conducting the search for the new president of the Council on Post Secondary Education. Regent Irons encouraged the members to voice their concerns to him regarding the CPE prior to this meeting.
- Advanced enrollment for the spring is down from this time last year.
- The committee recommended Julia Hypes and Randy Ross to fill vacancies on the International Education Advisory Committee. Recommendations passed.
- Reported that the student laptop initiative is on hold waiting for faculty input. A survey will be sent to faculty early in the spring semester.
- The faculty forum on tenure and promotion has been cancelled for Monday, December 11, 2006, but will be held on Wednesday, December 13, 2006, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Crager Room. Additional forums will be held in early January. The results from faculty via the facilitate.com survey regarding faculty development issues are being reviewed and will be discussed at these forums.
Communication: No Report
- Suggested the members discuss the declining enrollment with their colleagues to identify ways to increase enrollment and forward them to the Fiscal Affairs Committee.
Adjournment: 4:35 pm.