About Developmental English
All Developmental English courses at Morehead State University are taught in the Department of English.
Developmental writing courses at MSU seek to prepare students for the writing and analytical tasks they will encounter in the next course in the developmental writing sequence (if enrolled in Eng 090) and/or leading to the successful completion of core writing classes (Eng 100 and 200) within MSU’s general education framework. More globally, successful completion of the developmental writing sequence at MSU contributes to success in other courses throughout their academic career and beyond as well.
General Education Goals
- To help students develop effective communication skills gained from locating, selecting, organizing, and presenting information, including research, efficiently through the writing and revising of paragraphs and essays.
- To edit effectively according to the conventions of standard American English.
- To demonstrate a basic understanding of a citation form such as MLA (099 only).
- To develop life skills.
DE English Courses
There are two developmental English courses at Morehead State University:
- ENG 090 – Developmental Writing
- For students with ACT subtest scores in English of 13 or below, and a COMPASS e-Write score of 5 or below.
- ENG 099 – Basic Writing
- For students who have completed ENG 090, have ACT subtest scores of 14 - 17, or a COMPASS e-Write score of 6 - 8.
For more information on Developmental English, please contact the Department of English at 606-783-9448.