Faculty Handbook
MSU Collage Image
Table of Contents |  Ch 1 |  Ch 2 |  Ch 3 |  Ch 4 |  Ch 5 |  Ch 6 |  Ch 7 |  Faculty Handbook |  Division Home

Chapter 1: Introduction



1.1 Purpose of the Faculty Handbook

The Morehead State University Faculty Handbook is designed to provide basic information and to serve as a convenient reference manual.

This Handbook is not to be interpreted as a contract. Interpretation of information contained in this handbook construed as inconsistent with Board of Regents approved policy manuals will defer to those authoritative documents.

Back to top


1.2 History of Morehead State University

In 1887, Morehead Normal School was founded on the site of the present campus and was supported as a private school by the Kentucky Christian Missionary Society of the Disciples of Christ. After operating as a private school for 35 years, the normal school closed in 1922. The state began supporting the school in September, 1923. The name was changed to Morehead State Normal School, and, in 1926, to Morehead State Normal School and Teachers College. The growing college was then admitted to membership in the Kentucky Association of Colleges. The enrollment increased to 350 students and five buildings were added through state appropriations. At the end of the 1926-1927 academic year, the first four graduates earned diplomas and certificates to teach.

Morehead State Normal School and Teachers College became Morehead State Teachers College in 1930. During the thirties, the institution more than doubled in number of students and faculty. It also sought and was granted membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, and the American Association of Teacher's Colleges, and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

Morehead State Teachers College began the forties with an enrollment of 598 students. During World War II, many male faculty and students joined the armed forces, and the enrollment dropped to 166 students in fall 1944. In 1942, the college became the site of an electronic training school for a contingent of over 600 United States Navy personnel. In 1948, Morehead State Teachers College became Morehead State College.

Beginning in the early fifties, Morehead State College experienced phenomenal growth in student enrollment, facilities, and academic programming. The legislature financed the construction of 18 buildings between 1953 and 1965, and academic programs were expanded to serve the influx of post-war students. The philosophy of service to the region was greatly strengthened during this period, and Morehead State College became the center of regional activities.

In 1966, the Kentucky General Assembly granted university status, and Morehead State University established academic schools, a graduate office, and the Office of Vice President for Academic Affairs. By 1970, other vice presidential positions were added, the faculty enlarged, and nine more buildings added to serve over 6,500 undergraduate and graduate students.

During the early seventies, the university's enrollment continued to grow, and new programs and facilities were added to serve the needs of a growing population of graduate and associate degree students. The University expanded both research and service in the region.

The long tradition of service to the people of the Commonwealth of Kentucky has continued. The university's educational facilities include more than 50 major structures in a variety of contemporary and traditional architectural styles, a 320 acre experimental farm, a nine-hole golf course, and a 50 acre outdoor learning center.

Ronald G. Eaglin became the president of the university on July 1, 1992. Previous presidents include: C. Nelson Grote 1987-1992; A. D. Albright, 1986-87; Herb. F. Reinhard, Jr., 1984-86; Morris L. Norfleet, 1977-84; Adron Doran, 1954-77; Charles Spain, 1951-54; William J. Baird, 1946-51; William H. Vaughn, 1940-46; Harvey Babb, 1935-40; John H. Payne, 1930-35; Frank C. Button, 1922-30.
[INSERT NEW LINK HERE FOR ABOUT MSU]

Back to top


1.3 Mission of the University

Who We Are :
We are a community of learners that includes teachers, scholars, staff, and students, accredited as a comprehensive University serving the eastern region of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

What We Do :
We offer quality higher education opportunities and training in a collegial environment of open inquiry and educational interaction. We continually pursue academic education, professional development, and research in the belief that learning is a life-long process. We are dedicated to serving as both an important educational resource and as a positive role model for our community.

Where We Are Going :
We commit to preparing ourselves for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century, and to improving the quality of life for the community in which we live and work, while protecting and preserving the unique history and heritage of our service region and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Back to top


1.4 University Strategic Plan

In 1991, Morehead State University published its first strategic plan, Strategic Directions for 1992-96. With Board of Regents approved strategic themes and presidential approved strategic goals, this document outlines initiatives to help the institution fulfill its mission and meet the challenges of an ever changing system of higher education. The planning process implemented at the University involves broad participation from many sectors of the institution, including faculty, staff and students. The process is designed to continually evaluate internal and external challenges and opportunities so that Strategic Directions can be periodically reevaluated and revised.
[INSERT NEW LINK HERE FOR BUDGETS AND PLANNING]

Back to top


1.5 Accreditation and Memberships

In recognition of its academic programs, the University is accredited by the following educational and professional organizations:

  • American Veterinary Medical Association
  • Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs
  • Commission on Collegiate Nursing
  • Council on Social Work Education-Baccalaureate Level
  • Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
  • National Association of Industrial Technology
  • National Association of Schools of Music
  • National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education
  • National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
  • American Bar Association approval of Paralegal Studies
  • American Dietetic Association developmental accreditation of the Dietetic Internship
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

In recognition of its academic programs, the University holds membership in the following educational and professional organizations:

  • American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
  • American Association of State Colleges and Universities
  • American Council on Education
  • American Association of Colleges of Nursing
  • American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
  • American Technical Education Association
  • Commission on Collegiate Nursing
  • Conference of Southern Graduate Schools
  • Council for Opportunity in Education
  • Council on Collegiate Education for Nursing-Southern Regional Education Board
  • Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
  • International Technology Education Association
  • Kentucky Academy of Science
  • Kentucky Association of College of Music Departments
  • Kentucky Association of Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Nursing Programs
  • Kentucky Council of Associate Degree Nursing
  • Kentucky Allied Health Consortium
  • National Association of Industrial Technology
  • National Commission on Accreditation
  • National League for Nursing
  • Ohio River Basin Consortium
  • Southern Regional Education Board
  • The Council of Graduate Schools in the United States
  • Council for the Advancement and Support of Education

Back to top


1.6 Morehead State University Symbols

The Morehead State University logo was created by designer John March and became the official institutional emblem in May, 1980. March's design represents a blend of strength and mountain tradition that symbolizes MSU.

The University logo is the registered service mark of Morehead State University. The University logo is the registered service mark of Morehead State University. As such, it must be properly present and must be used for approved purposes only. It should not be altered, as to color or design. It may be resized to scale.
[INSERT NEW LINK HERE FOR THE UNIVERSITY LOGOS]

The University seal is the official identification of Morehead State University on diplomas, commencement programs, academic certificates, and other legal documents. Use of the seal must be approved in advance by the Office of University Relations.

The strutting eagle is the University's athletic symbol and is used on materials related to athletics. It must not be used in combination with either the University logo or the seal of the University, and prior approval for its use must also be secured from the Office of University Relations.

Back to top


1.7 Morehead State University Alma Mater

Far above the rolling campus
Resting in the dale
Stands the dear old Alma Mater
We will always hail.

Shout in chorus, raise your voices
Blue and gold--praise you
Winning through to fame and glory
Dear old MSU.

Words by Elwood Kazee, Class of 1953.
Music by Betty Jo Whitt, Class of 1952.

Back to top