Goals and Objectives of the Emerging Leaders Symposium
Click here to return to the main ELS page.
Students will be provided instruction on communication techniques, problem solving, decision-making tactics and life skills. They will learn self management skills such as time, stress and financial management.
- Breakout sessions led by campus and community experts on various topics will provide instruction to students on identified skill sets
- A binder of information will be provided to students encompassing all the presentations throughout the day, providing a comprehensive reference for the day’s instruction
Students will have an opportunity to practice intercommunication skills amongst themselves and with university and community leaders.
- A general session, facilitated by a professional in the field of leadership education, will be a central component of the program
- Time will be provided to practice in small groups the techniques given by the keynote presenter and at a luncheon where university and community leaders will be present
Emerging Leaders will be introduced to leadership styles and will have an opportunity to assess their own style.
- A second general session will be held, facilitated by a professional in the field of leadership education (possibly the same expert as the first general session), outlining different kinds of leadership styles
- A self-assessment tool will allow students to reflect on their own perceived leadership style
Students will be provided a comprehensive set of leadership opportunities provided on campus (i.e. RA position, orientation leader positions, etc.) and given information on how to apply for such positions.
- Throughout the day, tables or informational displays will be available from the different areas of campus offering “leadership labs” opportunities such as RA positions, SGA, etc.
- A specific time will be set aside for representatives of these leadership labs to speak about their programs
- Applications for various leadership labs will be included in the packet of information provided at check in
Office of Student Activities
204 Adron Doran University Center
Morehead, KY 40351